Part 23

Arshi's POV

"Yeh waqt bhi kitne ajeeb hai, agar hai toh bilkul aapke saath. Agar nahi, toh bilkul nahi."

( "Time is really weird, if it is then it's fully with you. If not, then not at all." )

Dad always used to tell me this. I never thought one day I would relate to it.

I can't believe that it's been a month since I've arrived. I had expected everyone to express their indifference towards me but nothing of that sort  happened except bua of course. Aaj bhi wahi halat hai. She hardly talks to me. After that incident we never had a proper conversation actually no conversation at all. It's just me who tries to pursue a conversation with her.

I understand where she's coming from. As a mother, as an ex-wife of a vile man who never deserved her and most importantly, a woman. One of the most important women of my life. After my mom that is.

I know Pari is upset, she may not voice it out but I know her. Unlike bua, she is not indifferent towards me.

For two long years I've been selfish. Who am I kidding?! I've always been selfish! When mom told me about dad losing his parents to suicide and what's worst is that he was the sole witness to it, it then dawned upon me that my suffering is nothing compared to his, to them, my family. Heck I don't even know what suffering is. Yes I'd witnessed one of the most horrific thing but I didn't lose them. They're here with me. I was trying to convince myself.

After a lot of thinking I decided to shift Bhaiya to the hospital as Dr. Sanjana told me that it would be best for him and it would be easier for her or shall I say, me. It will be easier for me to finally tend to my brother. With the help of my friends that is. It was a difficult decision on my part. But I had to. For mom, dad and me.

When I'd informed the family about my decision of shifting Bhaiya to the hospital they all agreed except for bua. She finally chose to speak to me even though it came out as an outburst. Mom was a bit skeptical, she thought I was doing all this to prove bua wrong but finally agreed. No, I couldn't tell the family that I'd be treating Bhaiya. I just couldn't.

And can you believe it that idiot is back in my house... I mean dad's house. But still whatever belongs to dad is bound to be protected by me, as if it's my own. When I saw him seated in the dining area, I was beyond furious. I then found out he was released from jail, by none other then bua. Moreover, that he will be managing her NGO. When I told him to get out, bua defended him by saying that it's only because of me that he doesn't have a job which earned me a winning smirk from that idiot. What does he think of himself?! I realised that bua wanted to prove a point to me. I was infuriated. I don't understand, he belongs to a wealthy family then why can't he relish his wealth and fame like what most spoilt brats do?!

However, there's one good thing that came out from all this, I got to spend time with my father. I spent the month telling him about his background, leaving out my grandparents tragic death, which I'd learned from my mother.

Along with his routine, I had told him about mom and his continuous bickering that lead them to where they're today. Not leaving out a single incident. Except bhaiya's adoption.

I still owed him an explanation about his current plight. I decided to take a step at a time like how I informed him about his past over the days that I've been here.

Coming to mom and dad as a whole, damn those two are tough nuts to crack. I'm still working on that though. Dad's memory is just like him, stubborn. However, he has been responding both physically and mentally that is.

I've been trying to get some information about the Maliks but no avail. I only got to know the name of my father's chachu from my mother. If I had to ask Aman chachu or anyone for that matter they'll think I'm up to something. And I can't have that.