-𝐍𝐈𝐍𝐄𝐓𝐄𝐄𝐍-

may twenty third, 2009malibu, california

malibu, california

Tony sat in the makeshift Shield office, waiting for his meeting with Fury. He had already seen the same news report three times, so he grabbed a folder called Avengers Initiative off the table to look at. "I don't think I want you looking at that. I'm not sure it pertains to you anymore." Fury said, taking the folder from Tony before he could open it. "Now this—on the other hand—is Agent Romanoff's assessment of you. Read it." Fury said as he handed another folder to Tony.

"Personality overview: Mr. Stark displays compulsive behavior. In my own defense, that was last week." Tony said, looking at Fury before looking back at the folder. "Prone to self destructive tendencies. I was dying. Aren't we all?" Tony looked at Fury's bored expression before clearing his throat and looking at the folder again. "Textbook narcissism?" Tony glanced at Fury again. "Agreed. Okay, here it is. Recruitment assessment for Avenger Initiative. Iron Man? Yes. I gotta think about it." Tony said, putting the folder down.

"Read on."

Tony sighed before he picked the folder up again, his eyes widening at what he saw. "Tony Stark not—not recommended? That doesn't make any sense. How can you approve me, but you don't approve me?" Tony asked, putting the folder down. "I got a new ticker. I'm trying to do right by Pepper. I'm not pissing my sister off as much anymore. My son hasn't missed school. I'm in a stablish relationship." Tony said, watching as Fury got up and walked over to his side of the table.

"—which leads us to believe at this juncture, we'd only like to use you as a consultant." Fury said before Tony stood up and held his hand out for Fury to shake.

"You can't afford me." Tony sent Fury his signature smile before turning around. "Then again, I will waive my customary retainer in exchange for a small favor. Rhodey, Brooke, and I are being honored in Washington and we need a presenter."

Fury gave a small nod, making a small smile appear on Tony's face. "I'll see what I can do."

"It's my honor to be here today to present these distinguished awards to Lieutenant Colonel James Rhodes, Ms. Brooklyn Stark, and Mr. Tony Stark—who are—of course—national treasures." Stern said with a fake smile, making the siblings smirk slightly. "Thank you, Lieutenant Colonel, for such an exceptionally distinguished performance. You deserve this." Stern said after he put the pin on Rhodey's jacket.

"Thank you, sir."

"Ms. Stark, thank you for an exceptionally distinguished performance. You deserve this." Stern said as he put the pin on Brooke, poking her slightly.

"Thank you." Brooke gave Stern a fake smile, which he returned before he moved onto Tony. "Vaffanculo, puttana."

Fuck you, whorebag.

"Mr. Stark, thank you for an exceptionally distinguished performance. You deserve this." Stern said before he poked Tony, making the billionaire jump slightly. "Sorry. Funny how annoying little pricks can be, isn't it? Let's get a photo." Stern said before he got in between Brooke and Rhodey, giving a fake laugh when he noticed Brooke and Tony doing peace signs.

"Tony, hurry up. Darlene and Noah are calling any second." Brooke called as she and Peter sat on the couch.

Tony rolled his eyes at his sister before he answered the door for the delivery man. "You're the one who ordered Mexican food and made me answer the door; and pay." Tony said before he handed the delivery guy a twenty.

Brooke chuckled before she grabbed a small handful of popcorn out of Tony's bowl. "We share the same bank account. It was coming out of the same place."

"Yeah, qualunque cosa." Tony said as he rolled his eyes and passed out the food.

Yeah, whatever.

Brooke let out a gasp after she saw Darlene's name pop up on the tv. "She's calling. Hi, Dar."

"Hi, Bunny! Hi, Petey! Hi, Tony!" Darlene said with a smile before the three waved.

"Hi, Aunt Darlene!"

"How's Miami?" Tony asked before he took a bite of his food.

"Pretty good. Not a lot to do with a one month old, but it's still fun." Darlene said with a small shrug.

Brooke nodded before she took a bite of her enchilada. "That's good. When are you coming home?"

"Right now." Darlene said, making the small family look at the screen.

"What?"

"Ma'am, sir, Ms. Thompson is at the front door. Would you like me to let her in?" Jarvis asked.

"Yeah, J." Tony said before the three ran to the door, where Darlene was waiting with a sleeping Noah.

"What are you doing here?" Brooke asked, giving her best friend a hug as Tony picked up Darlene's suitcase.

"Miami was so boring without you guys, so I decided to come home early." Darlene said with a shrug as Brooke closed the door behind her.

"I missed you, Lene."

"I missed you, too, Bunny. So did Noah." Darlene said, gaining Tony's attention.

"Noah, my man!" Tony said as he took the baby from Darlene.

After spending the rest of the night watching movies and playing Mario Kart with Peter, the Stark family finally decided to go to bed. Brooke and Tony were redoing the East wing of the house for Darlene and Noah to live in, so until then, Darlene was bunking with Brooke. Tony graciously offered to keep Noah in his room. Darlene was a bit skeptical at first, but she knew Tony would do a good job. Plus, he was giving her a much needed break.

Brooke woke up around three; and she desperately needed water. After chuckling at Darlene—who managed to take over almost all of Brooke's California king size bed—Brooke headed downstairs to the kitchen. "Fuck! You really need to stop doing that. Either that or I need to just give you a key." Brooke said after she saw Fury sitting at the counter.

Fury chuckled softly at the Stark girl. "You really think I need one?"

"No." Brooke shook her head at the director before heading to the fridge. "So what are you doing here? I'm guessing it isn't to catch up." Brooke said as she grabbed two waters.

"I came to ask you something. Read this." Fury said, trading the folder for one of the waters.

"I'm gonna skip all the stuff I already know. You think I'm a self absorbed narcissist with daddy issues." Fury chuckled at Brooke before taking a sip of his water. "Recruitment assessment for the Avengers Initiative. Phantom? Yes. Brooklyn Stark? Yes. Did you ask Tony?" Brooke asked as she looked up, Fury nodding.

"I did."

"What'd he say?" Brooke asked before she took a sip of her own water.

Fury hesitated for a moment, trying to think of the right words to say. "He both was and wasn't recommended."

Brooke chuckled before she glanced back at the folder. "So you recommended the suit, but not him? Sorry. If Tony's out, so am I. We're a package deal, Nick. You want one, you get both." Brooke said as she handed Fury the folder, making him nod.

"Understood."

"Since you're here, wanna watch Friends?"

Tony and Brooklyn Stark will return in Avengers.