1. The New Room

Disclaimer: I do not own the Mortal Instruments, the wonderful Cassandra Clare does. Also, I'm not trying to copy anyone or anything, so if there is any resemblance to anything (other than The Mortal Instruments, obviously), it is purely coincidental. :)

"Happy Birthday, Clary," Jocelyn handed her daughter a wrapped - not so nicely, but wrapped nonetheless - box. They were in the Institute's Library celebrating Clary's eighteenth birthday. All of them were sitting around in a circle with Clary in the middle, putting her literally in the center of attention.

Clary took the box with a small smile, trying not to focus on all the eyes on her. She gave the box a little shake - it was light. She opened it and inside was a note. Reading it, her eyebrows shot up.

She reread the note multiple times just to make sure before turning to her mother.

"Wait, you're letting me stay in the Institute?" she asked, shocked. She had been pestering her mom about letting her live at the Institute, but every time she would ask, Jocelyn would just give her a look and wouldn't say anything about it.

"You're eighteen now," Jocelyn said, "An adult. You're responsible enough and I can't tell you what to do any more."

"Yeah, but it still took a lot of persuasion on my part," Luke piped in.

Clary got up and hugged them. "Thank you!"

Izzy smiled and asked, "So, do you want to see your room?"

Clary nodded excitedly.

Izzy led the way to the room and, once there, wordlessly handed Clary the key, motioning for her to open the door.

Clary slipped the key in carefully as if she were afraid to break it, and then walked into the room tentatively. Once Clary made it into the room, she saw that it had grey walls and a queen sized bed with dark grey sheets. A vanity, already filled with make up - compliments from Izzy, she assumed - was pushed up against a wall. To the right, a bunch of pictures and weapons were hung up, adding to the whole Shadowhunter look of the room. Also adorning the room, a desk, a bookshelf, a couch, an armchair, a coffee table, and what's a room without a walk-in closet that somehow had all of her clothes in it plus more.

"Um, how did you get my clothes here? I swear I saw them in my old dresser this morning," Clary said, curious.

"I can use magic for non healing things too you know," Magnus said.

"Do you like it?" Izzy asked excitedly.

"I love it! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!" Clary exclaimed, hugging them one by one.

When she got to Max, he blushed slightly. Over the past few months, he had developed a small crush on Clary.

"What would you like to do now?" Jocelyn asked.

"Can we eat at noon? And until then, can Jace and I have some alone time?" Clary asked.

"Of course," Izzy said, shooing everyone out. "My room's just in the next hall over if you need me," she said before closing the door behind her.

"I take it you like the room," Jace said with an amused expression, watching Clary check all the stocked cabinets.

"Yeah," Clary said. She had almost forgotten he was here, she was so caught up in searching the room.

"And the beauty of this room," Jace said, coming up behind her and encircling his arms around her torso, "Is that mine is right next to it."

"My mom allowed that?" Clary asked, surprised.

"She doesn't exactly know," Jace admitted. "So, what do you want to do?"

Clary looked around the room and bit her lip. "Are these walls soundproof?"

Jace drew a quick soundproof rune onto the wall next to him. "They are now."

Clary gave him a sly smile and pushed him down onto her new plush bed.

"I think we should christen my new room."

Hi! Hope you liked it! Sorry, this is my first ever fanfic, so please cut me some slack.

Please: Comment! Vote! Follow!

Thanks for reading! ILYASM! Mizpah!

-BatmanEatsPizza