Chapter 6

Shraddha Kapoor

What is his problem?

I'm doing him a huge favour here by agreeing to be his fake girlfriend to save him the public humiliation. If he can't be grateful about it at least he doesn't have to act like it hurts to look at my face.

"I'll be preparing a contract tomorrow which you can come and sign whenever you want" Karan says ignoring his sulking student seated beside him.

"Also for you to take this job  seriously..I'm offering you a paycheck" he hustles some papers on his desk.

I open my mouth to protest when he interjects "No, don't deny it, because I know you are good girl and I respect your time and dedication that you will be offering us henceforth. So please don't hesitate or feel shy about anything. Ask me any doubt you have in your mind. Also I would like to know about your profession and  little bit about your personal life..if it's completely okay with you. Like what does your father do? Where do you live? Do you hold any job anywhere currently?" he halts and it occurs to me he is finally giving me a chance to speak.

"I live in borivalli west. My Dad is comedian and I work in Ahmed dance troupe" I answer in single breath.

Varun chokes on glass of water "You are a back dancer?" he asks his eyes wide and mad..like I confessed I escaped from mental asylum.

"No wonder your face looks familiar" Karan smiles and I decide I like him.

"You want me to date a back dancer?" Varun grits through his teeth.

"Shut up Varun" Karan responds.

"Sure enough you can continue with your work, Shraddha" he tells me "But you have to be free whenever Varun needs you...and he would be needing you a lot as he would be travelling for promotions and all. Whenever he goes abroad you'll have to accompany him" he informs me.

I gulp down as I didn't see this coming. Karan senses my hesitation.

"Shraddha I know it's difficult spot I'm putting you in..but trust me it's only for short period of time till the fire dies out. You can think of it as paid trip..you don't know how much of favour you are doing to Varun right now"

Really? It doesn't look like that to me..I steal a glance at Varun who seems to be lost in counting tiny bulbs on ceiling.

"Is there anything you would like to add to the clause?" Karan asks me.

"Hmm" I think over "Yes ..whenever we travel I want separate rooms" I can see Varun's neck snap down from corner of my eye.

"But of course" Karan assures.

"Also.." I'm not sure how to say this "No touching or any sort of physical contact" I say puckering my lips.

Varun jerks up from his place slams his hand on table and leans on my face "You think I'll be interested in touching you, Donald duck?" he growls on my face.

"Easy hero" Karan holds his arm and pulls him away from me.

Maybe it's time I remind him he had his whole tongue inside my mouth last night...but I don't because honestly I'm too terrified of him.

I always had been scared of him. I wanted to apologise  back then when I had slapped him even though he was the one to provoke me, but I never had enough courage to bring myself before him again.

Part of reason why I'm agreeing to do this is I felt sorry for him for too long. Though I'm not sure if he deserves any compassion.

"So it's all settled then" Karan visibly relaxes "Separate rooms in hotels..no touching in private..only hand holding in public places" Karan stops at our frowning faces "C'mon you'll have to do that much" he remarks pragmatically.

I nod and Varun snorts. "And Shraddha, if Varun, at any point of time, is being jackass to you, you come straight to me,okay? Although I'm sure he won't give you much reason to complain" he eyes Varun "He's a good boy" he adds patting his back.

Varun has small forceful smile on his face. 

"Today we will be releasing official statement to press saying that you guys have been dating for a while..that's it, no more details. If anyone asks you anything, just tell them that how you met on set few months ago and fell in love at first sight..and its good thing you are dancer, Shraddha, as you get to meet celebs all the time. No one will doubt our theory.." Karan lays down his strategies.

While I keep listening to him my mind wanders at the guy next to him.

For now I don't feel nervous or scared but what will happen once we are left alone?

And my worst fears come true when Karan gets up abruptly.

"You'll have to excuse me for now" Karan says "I'm having lunch meeting with my staff.  Shraddha I'm sure you are yet to have your lunch? Don't worry, Varun will take you out to some nice restaurant today, won't you Varun?"

My stomach falls on floor.

"I'm really not hungry, Sir" I lie as my gut cramps in protest.

"Call me Karan. And it isn't just about lunch, your job begins from now. It will be helpful if you are spotted together. We won't be informing the media right now. But you should start to get along. The sooner the better" he smiles, stuffing some papers, his ipad, iphone in the bag.

"If you guys excuse me, I'll take my leave" he hugs me on his way out "I'll be seeing you around" he squeezes my arms reassuringly and I know I can trust this man and I won't get into trouble if he is there in this.

He opens the door and stops to add "Varun. Behave" he warns him.

The door closes behind him leaving me and Varun alone in his office.

Oh Crap.

~~~