Chapter 23

Shraddha Kapoor

"Her name is Shraddha" Varun grits in low voice matching the viciousness of Sonam's tone.

"Opps..lover boy is getting angry" Sonam gives a sugary smiles..the one that gives you unsolicited diabetes.

"Sorry Shraddha" she turns to me "I just didn't care enough to remember your name..as I have so many important things to do in my life" her eyes roll in their sockets and its confirms to me what I've heard about her. She indeed is a snob.

"Enjoy the show" she waves her thin hands in air in disinterested manner and strolls away.

"Bitch" Varun cuss under his breath and I second that.

"I really can't stand this shitty drama anymore" Varun bounces up from his seat. I look up at him not sure if he's talking about the play or Sonam Kapoor.

"I'm out of here" he begins to slide across me and I stop him by tugging at his shirt.

"Where are you going?" I ask flummoxed.

"Shithole" he spits. Appearance of his ex girlfriend has clearly soured his mood. When I don't leave his arm he turns to me and reads my gravity ridden face "I'm going back to the apartment..you can find a taxi back or I'll ask Ileana to drop you..she ought to do at least that much as it was her crazy idea in first place...I need stop trusting that girl and her random spurts" he speaks his thoughts out loud.

"Don't go" I plead earnestly.  On one hand I don't want to miss the second half of the play and on another I want Varun to stay. I know he isn't enjoying it much as he was dozing off all through first half.

He stands there in uncertainty for whole one minute before slumping back on seat.

"You better cook that damn biryani for me in compensation for bearing this torture" he disses. Torture? How can he be an actor if he sums up the magic of live performance as torture.

"Don't you ever count your calories while you eat?" I ask as he dips his hand on salty popcorn.

"You'll develop a paunch pretty soon if you aren't watchful" Frankly I've never seen any actor gorging on food without a care for world or his body.

"Ha! That's highly unlikely.  I have blessed with brown fat...I don't easily gain weight. But that's also like curse in a blessing as I have to keep on taking those protein injects to bulk up like this" he reveals his secret while flexing his biceps in front of me and I can't help but feel it by poking my finger on his bulged arm "Yup they are real" I grin stupidly.

"Hey Donald" he calls out as the lights begin to fade out.

"Yes" I respond stupidly again "Wait a sec..why do you keep calling me Donald duck?" I raise the issue that has been troubling me since I had first heard him call that in Karan's office.

"Just few minutes ago you were angry at someone for not addressing me by my proper name" I remind him intentionally leaving Sonam's name out of conversation. 

"That's another thing. I can call you whatever I please but no one else can" he sounds like possessive boyfriend.

"Why? Do you own me?" I quip "I mean to say..rights to my name" I waver to correct myself. 

"Apparently yes" he smugs and I'm sure he is thinking about the contract right now.

"Your face reminds me of Donald duck" he leans closer in dim light and I would've kissed him if he wasn't studying my features with wonder like he can actually make out a duck on it.

"By the way if it's any consolation...Donald duck was my favourite cartoon as a kid" he tells me sitting upright.

"Yeah? Then I'm sure you must be one of those nephews..lui dui sui.."