Chapter 9

Varun Dhawan

Actors have most difficult job in this world.

I'm not exaggerating, I mean c'mon it's not easy to fake emotions that aren't present inside you.

And I'm one of those unfortunate ones who have to keep on acting even when the camera has stopped rolling.

I see Shraddha paddle out of her residential building.

Must say she has put considerable effort in making herself presentable.

She is wearing a dress that stops just above her knees. The colour, that is mix of blue and green(I'm sure my stylist has a word for it) suits her pale complexion. Those dreadful mess of hair are curled nicely into locks. The duckling did take my advice of visiting a salon then, I smirk.

I observe her from rearview mirror, she stops and comtemplates about getting into backseat of car.

"Hello Mam, I'm not your driver get in front" I yell through open window.

She moves at snail's speed crossing from front to other side of car eyeing me through the glass. It's with great difficulty I control the urge to run her over as my left foot manoeuvres over break.

"Nice dress" I compliment as she gets in and notice the blush on her cheeks turning shade pinker.

"You look good" I blurt out before I can stop myself.

Shraddha Kapoor

"Thanks"

I say strapping my seat belt on. I wasn't expecting him to notice me adorning the only elegant dress I own.

He shakes his head "You bought that? You're so naive, Shraddha. I'm an actor, I have been trained to lie to people on their faces" he smugs.

There he goes again at being what he is best at..I might as well get used to his prickly self.

"You drive your own car?" I ask surprised.

"Hmm. I believe a man should drive his own car till he has hair on his scalp or hasn't developed a paunch" he chortles out a laugh.

I smile but it is hard to imagine Varun losing his thick mane eventually or his six packs turning into paunch. I force myself not to peek at his tight tee hugging those abs or imagine my hands running through his hair.

"The only person in our family to have chauffeur driven car is my big bro, Rohit" he continues "The way he is, I always knew he was going to age prematurely" he smiles genuinely, the one that reaches his eyes

"My Mom is cool but my bro, he is like warden of our house, always maintaining discipline, orderliness" he quips.

I like the way he sounds so animated talking about his family and my heart sinks thinking about my own broken family.

I swallow the lump forming in my throat "Which movie are we going to?" I ask to divert the conversation.

"2 states"

"2 states? But didn't it released few months ago?"

"This is one time private screening for only friends and family with special invitations, sent to those who had missed out a chance to watch it back then" he explains, his voice guarded.

"Oh" I frown "Can't we watch some other movie?" I suggest as I have watched 2 states and I'm not sure if I want to watch it again when there are so many others options available.

He doesn't answer but I could see tension building in his tendons. Is it because he thinks he exposed himself too much earlier revealing titbits of his family life, when he is supposed to be only rude to me?

"And if it's private screening, isn't the purpose of public appearance lost?" I persist and get a look from him like I have made most unintelligent comment of my life.

"You'll find out the purpose" he replies after eternity.

But I get his point once we reach there.

Photographers are already positioned outside theatre as they know private screening ensures lot of celebrity turn out.

Before we get out of car, Varun wears baseball cap, checks his reflection in front mirror miming 'Showtime'. He then winks at me and my heart flutters in response.

He holds my hand all the way through the entryway as shutterbugs click on us firing questions at the same time.

"Varun is she the girl you kissed that night at award show?"

"How do you both know each other?"

"How long have you been dating?"

Varun ignores their questions but stops to pose. His hand runs on my waist as he draws me closer.

"Smile" he whispers in my ear but I shiver as his lips slightly brushes my earlobe.

After few clicks, he waves at them languidly as he scurries inside dragging me along with him.

"I'm going to spoil it for you" I warn him about the movie.

"I have read the book" he sticks out his tongue as we find our way to our seats.

Once the lights are out, I become extremely self conscious. I keep as much space between us as two adjacent chairs can allow.

Well, it's normal to feel uncomfortable when you're sitting next to very hot guy and characters of Aaliya and Arjun start making love on 70mm screen.

While I feel unsettled on my seat, Varun looks chilled out to the core, occasionally digging his hand on popcorn.

He hoots and whistles showering generous compliments whenever Aaliya comes on screen. I understand they share special bond as they have begun their career together.

But there's no way I can possibly be jealous of her, I console myself.

The chest burn I'm feeling right now is because I've eaten too much and..

My heart is undigested.

~~~