Chapter 24

Varun Dhawan

I pace outside the emergency room where Shraddha is taken inside.

The medical help had arrived promptly after the call was made. They retrieved her by pressing on her chest and giving CPR. She opened her eyes but was gasping for air all the way to the nearest hospital.

I thank my stars for being present in country competent enough to handle emergencies..I can't even imagine what would have happened if we were in India right now. Till ambulance had arrived Shraddha would have...

Her parents would've killed me if they had come to know how I had failed to take care of their daughter. Hell my own parents would've chewed me alive before that if something worse would have happened to her.

I tap my foot impatiently waiting forever for white coated doctors to emerge out of that damned emergency room.

I almost laugh at the situation I'm caught in. It seems like a movie scene right out of some cheesy romcom..like the one I'm promoting right now.

But it's one thing to enact the scene and another to practically live one. I've never before faced medical crisis of any dear ones in my life(touch wood for that)

Yaha kahi mandir nahi hai jaha main apno ki lambi umer ki dua maang saku?

Shit. I'm so fucking stressed.  I sincerely pray to Lord Almighty she is okay.

Finally after eternity of suspense the door swings open and a white Doctor adorning white apron strides out and starts looking everywhere trying to spot me. I step forward.

"Mr. Dhawan?" He asks the obvious considering I'm the only coloured man in the waiting area.

"Patient is out of danger" he informs me and I huff out a breath which I didn't realise I was holding.

"She had gone into anaphylactic shock which I suspect was due to some food allergy. I have given her tranquiliser so she is resting right now...but I'm glad you got her on time. You saved her life, buddy" he pats my back and exits the scene before I could return his gesture and pat his back 'You saved my ass, Doc'

The attending intern asks me to sign admission papers while they shift Shraddha to separate room.

Once the nurse finishes her work furtively she moves out of room and I step near bed to see Shraddha sleeping quietly. The saline bottle is dripping besides her.

The red botches on her face have started to turn faint pink. I run my finger to remove the strand of hair from her face and tuck it behind her ear. I stand there staring at her angelic face for I don't know how long.

I'm so freaking glad she is okay that I bend over to give a peck on her forehead but a knock on door interrupts my intentions.

Ileana struts in with two Styrofoam cups containing black liquid. Although I'm craving for another form of liquor, coffee will do just fine.

"How is she?" Ileana whispers like she is afraid to wake her up.

"Out of danger" a fresh feeling of relief washes over me by saying those words out loud.

"You know..I got so scared when she passed out..the goosebumps are still visible on my arms..look" she pulls up the sleeve of her jacket as evidence.

"You just had goosebumps...my whole bum was sitting on goose"

She reacts making face like 'does that even makes sense?' Maybe it doesn't but you get the drift what I went through.

"Okay, I'll have to leave now" she tosses her empty cup in bin "You can skip work today. I'll manage alone as anyways it's just a fundraiser show" she squats her hand in air.