Chapter 8

Chapter 8 | getting closer

Song Harin:

I can't wrap my thoughts around the short moment that happened between me and Minhyuk last night, but when I woke up, the blanket that I wrapped around him had been on me. I immediately checked on Hwayoung and she's awake and stable. Her fever had gone down. I breathed a sigh of relief.

"O-mma, Minhyuk ahjussi said you should stay with me today and he will tell your boss about the situation. He told me to tell you not to worry." Hwayoung said, and as she talked, a smile curved on my lips because I knew she'd gotten better.

"How are you feeling, princess?" I asked, caressing her head.

"Minhyuk-ahjussi fed me warm porridge earlier while you were sleeping, and then the nurse made me take medicines." Hwayoung smiled up at me. "See, I'm a good girl, o-mma. You don't have to... to worry about me. I-I didn't tell you I was feeling sick because I was afraid you'd be sad again."

As easy as that, tears filled my eyes. I pulled my daughter in a warm hug. "Oh, Hwayoung, please tell me if you're feeling sick, so that mom could have you treated. Mommy loves you so much, baby."

We stayed for the day in the hospital room until Hwayoung's fever completely disappears and the doctor said it was safe to discharge her. She was prescribed medicines to take on time and then Hani and mom came over and drove us home.

Mom made beef stew and other side dishes, and for the first time in what felt like a long time, I had a home cooked meal.

Hani played all day with Hwayoung, but very carefully so that the latter won't get too exhausted while mom filled our refrigerator with new side dishes.

"Mom, don't you want to move in here?" I asked her, placing both my elbows against the kitchen counter.

"What you need is a new husband, Harin."

"Mom! Are we gonna talk about this again?"

Hani laughed in the back. "Do you want a new daddy, Hwayoung?"

"Hani!"

"A new daddy? Yes!" Hwayoung replied excitedly.

I scratched my head and turned to mom who was grinning from ear to ear. "I think you should start by looking somewhere near."

My eyes widened. "MOM!" I exclaimed. "I offer you a chance to live with your daughter and your granddaughter and this is what I get?"

Mom chuckled. "I would live with you once your sister gets marriedㅡif the offer's still valid by then. I'd rather make sure Hani doesn't make trouble before getting tied."

"MOM! WHY ARE YOU OUR MOM?" Hani exclaimed this time. A laughter escaped my lips.

"Do you know that Hani and my boss have something going on, mom?" I said, and then Hani seemed to fly across the living room towards the kitchen to kick my ass.

"STOOOP!"

"YA! How dare you!"

"Stop talking about my love life, dear Goㅡ"

I wiggled my eyebrows. "Oh, so you have a love life with my boss now?"

"Eonni!"

I burst into another laughter and in the corner of my eye, I knew my mom was watching me. I knew what she was thinking.

I haven't laughed like that in a while. A long, long while.