Chapter 22

Chapter 22
The Aftermath

LEE MINHYUK

"Hyung, there's too many of them! We're too worn for these energized bulls." Peniel told me and gasped once he found Ilhoon unconscious. "Holy shit. Is he dead?"

I felt his pulse but it was still there, but slow.

"We have to get him to the car." I said.

"Yeah, I'm sorry, but that seems impossible, hyung. There are too many-"

"HOLY CRAP!" Eunkwang exclaimed once we heard gunshots. And all of a sudden, the entrance was filled with law enforcement officialsㅡwait, no. Is that Jinho?

"Guys, let's go! They're cops!" I said in the midst of chaos.

"Come on, there's a secret passage I know." Changsub said.

The Alphas seemed to panic by the presence of the men with guns. Peniel and I draped Ilhoon's arms over us and we brought him to the secret passage Changsub was talking about while Eunkwang and Hyunsik covered for us.

Our journey leading towards the outside world was quiet. The faint sound of gunshots could still be heard though.

Finally, Changsub opened another metal door and we walked-ran towards the clearing. Hyunsik searched for his phone and called someone, "Where are you? We're coming. Start the car." He said.

And then he was leading us to a black SUV where a familiar guy got off along with Harin. "What the hell. Sungjae is our escape driver?" I asked Hyunsik, who I realized was looking so pale but he shrugged. "He's the best that I've got."

"Hyunsik hyung! What the heck is this? You said an adventure! Not a dead body and bleeding people!" Sungjae exclaimed, helping to get Ilhoon inside.

"I told you, you get a slight chance of dying." Hyunsik said as he settled inside and Sungjae got in the driver's seat.

"I thought you were kidding!" He said in disbelief as he drove away. "So, where are we going now?"

Hyunsik sighed tiredly. "Where do you think, kid? To the hospital, of course."

"Right. Jeez."

• •

E

verything happened too fast after that.

Ilhoon and Hyunsik were immediately brought to the emergency room. It turned out that the latter had been stabbed and had lost a lot of blood since. I should have noticed by the way he held on his stomach, but I guess my mind was too preoccupied with other things.

Peniel, Eunkwang, Changsub and I were treated for our bruises and x-rayed to check for broken bones.

Sungjae and Harin appeared to be unharmed apart from emotional shock and distress. She just told me about the bracelet Jinho gave her and how it was pressed by an Alphas member accidentally that allowed AIU to track our location.

By the evening, Harin fell asleep while her head rested on my bed. I went out and found Changsub outside Hyunsik's hospital room. He's stable now, but Ilhoon was critical.

"I'm sorry, hyung." He spoke without looking at me.

"How are you in the Alphas? How did I not see you all these years? I can't wrap my head around it."

He took a deep breath and released it as a sigh. "It's Han Hyunbin, hyung."

"What?"