Chapter 12

Chapter 12
Give Me A Sign

SONG HARIN

Ohmygod. He's just messing with me. He must be. But it's how I was feeling that was strange. It's something I haven't felt in a long time. The rush through my veins, like an electricty swimming up to my heart, powering it up to boost its beat louder and faster.

I laughed again even though it was getting harder to make it seem genuine. "You're kidding, right?"

"Why would I joke about something like this?"

"I have a husband."

"He's... he'sㅡ"

"Gone? Yes, but still my husband."

"Harin..." He ran his hands through his hair.

Uncertain what to do, I walked away. He followed, grabbing my hand and it was like there was a literal spark there that I yanked it away from him. His jaw dropped.

"I'm sorry. I justㅡ" I looked at him, and then at the ocean, and back at him. "Why me?"

"Why not?"

I laughed again, humorlessly. "Because I have a kid. I'm a single mother whose husband just died two years ago. And you, look at you, you're... you're a fine bachelor who could probably get any woman you'd want. Any woman that's not a single mom and hasn't been married to another man."

"Do those things define who you are?" He asked in disbelief.

"That is who I am, Minhyuk. I'm the woman whose husband died, left alone to raise a kid by herself."

"Well, I don't care. You're Song Harin and I think I... I'm falling for you."

I shook my head. "You're not falling for me. You don't even know me."

"Maybe I know enough. I know that I find you beautiful despite all the sadness in those eyes of yours. I know that I saw how much a mother could love her child because of you, because I didn't see on my own mother the way you looked at your daughter. I know that you're hard working and dedicated to the things you do, and you always do your best even though you always feel like you don't." He paused and his shoulders dropped, speaking softer. "I know that you love the stars, the constellations, and the stories behind them. I know that you believe things happen for a reason, so don't you believe that there might be something here for us?"

I shook my head again, tears forming in my eyes. "No, Minhyuk. This is probably just one of the things you'd run away from someday."

"You can't know my feelings better than I do, Harin. I'm falling for you, can't you hear that? Dammit, Song Harin, that's the first time I've ever said those words to someone. I know how I feel and I know that I'm happy whenever I'm with you and Hwayoung. I know that I can't stop thinking about you at nights and I look forward to every day because I can't wait to see you again and again. I know that I wish I could take away all your sadness and pain. I know that you make me want to become a better version of me." He took my hand and locked our fingers together, and it felt as though I've lost all the energy to pull back. He pulled me towards him gently. "I know that this is different than I've ever felt before, and if you'd just let me in, maybe I could fill that empty space in your heart too."

But no matter what he says, no matter how beautiful and nice his words were, I just couldn't take him in so easily like that because I don't know how exactly I feel for him when I'm still in love with Haneul. And is it even possible to love two people at the same time?