Chapter 48

Ren shook his head furiously. He could not believe what Chae was thinking. They were out in town for some pizza and drinks. The waiter came at the right moment before he blew his lid off. Placing down the food and drinks, the waiter gave them a courteous smile. Chae clapped her hands as Ren's attention returned to her

"Well the food looks good," she said trying to sound cheerful.

"We are not done talking about this," he said. She placed two slices on each of their plates as Ren continued talking.

"She broke your heart Chae. You were not functioning when she left. And now it's just another day in paradise where she can just rock up and take you back. What the fuck?" he said shaking his head.

"I forgave her a long time ago Ren, I thought you did too," she said.

"Yes I did but I haven't forgotten which is what it seems you have," he said accusingly.

"How the fuck could I forget. I was there. I lived it," said Chae and took a bite of her pizza.

"Chae you can't fall in to this again. Yes we all love her and we are exceptionally proud at the courage she's had to undergo everything she's been through," he said.

"BUT! She cut off full contact with all of us. All the people who supported her from day one. And why? Because she was too cowardly to just be honest with us. I can't believe the excuse she gave you," he said.

"Calm down Ren," said Chae.

"No I won't. She hurt you. Deeply. You two were so madly in love but she just left you high and dry. No explanation. No consolidation. No sorry and certainly no thank you," he finished.

"People change," she said and Ren scoffed.

"Chae, you know even before everything, she had emotionally manipulative tendencies. You and I both know your relationship wasn't rainbows and butterflies," he said.

"Your right. It wasn't but we loved each other anyway and I mean she had reason for acting out all the time. She was struggling with," he put up a hand and shook his head.

"Oh please, we can't blame every fucking action she's ever done on her transition. That's just disrespectful to all the people who have undergone the same or similar thing but still treated others and their loved ones with respect," he said and Chae sighed.

"Do you still have feelings for her?"

"I will always love her Ren. We went through a lot together. But I also know what she's done to me," said Chae.

"And Jennie?"

"What about Jennie?" asked Chae

"Oh for fucks sakes Chae! You can not tell me you don't have feelings for princess," he said and Chae hesitated.

"Be honest with me here," he urged and Chae nodded.

"I do and they're getting deeper each moment I spend with her. But she's already in a relationship and I don't want to intrude in to that," said Chae.

"And you don't think you already are?" asked Ren with confused eyes but Chae just shrugged.

"You and Jennie are so smitten for each other. It's hilarious that you two are the only ones who don't seem to see it. The chemistry you and she has is something else Chae. You have a legitimate shot with her. If you're willing to take it," said Ren.

"I don't know. She's from a whole other lifestyle and Kai comes from the same thing. They're like molded for each other. I don't think I'm fit for that," she said.

"Jennie's Dad is literally preparing to give you a company because he has recognised, with Teddy, that you have something special in you Chae. You're a fighter and Jennie sees that too. Don't let your insecurities get in the way," he said.

"She's still in a relationship Ren. That's not gonna change," she said.

"Tell her."

"What?"

"Tell Jennie how you feel. See what she does. You have nothing to loose. You could still be friends after. Tell her," he said.

"I do have something to loose Ren. I could lose her friendship. I'm not ready to do that," she said sternly.

"But you're ready to give Jean another chance," he shook his head.

"I love you Chae and I don't want to see you hurt. But that's love dude. I'd rather see you hurt by being rejected by Jennie than having to deal with your heart ache when Jean fucks up again. And she will fuck up," he said.

"I'll see," said Chae sadly and Ren gave her a empathetic look.

"What are you doing tomorrow?" he asked

"Jen and I are babysitting Noon. We're going to take her to the fountain downtown and then the zoo," said Chae with a smile.

"So you guys are gonna be playing house essentially. Wow and you still don't think she likes you back," he shook his head with a grin.

"Shut up Ren," chuckled Chae.

"I'm just saying, I don't ask my friends to cuddle with and kiss each other everywhere besides the lips and go on dates to the zoo with a cute baby. Or take 'naps' in quiet meadows together, while snuggled up," he laughed.

"Fuck off," laughed Chae.

"I'm just saying. You know where my loyalties lie. I'm team Jennie all the way," he giggled

"Whatever happens we'll be here for you Chae. Like always. You're my best friend and whoever you choose I'll accept it," he said seriously. Chae smiled at him gratefully and they continued their hang out with good laughter and banter.