21. Fair

It was one of those mornings after a big fight. The first argument Joey and I had actually had. The other night he'd pointed out the fact that he doesn't know much about me, and I wasn't making any effort to tell him anything.

That I owed him, but I didn't want to say anything. He had no clue as to why I know nothing about social media or why I was at the park that night. I tried to avoid it but he kept talking about it and it ended poorly.

Usually, if I was upset he'd come to me first but I had a feeling it was different. It wasn't like one of those small petty fights we'd had in the past. When I collected myself, I creeked open his door drawing his attention.

We just started at eachother, and then he turned away. Slowly, I made my way to the foot of his bed and sat. There was no way I could come clean about the truth just now, I'd just work my way around it all like I had been. Like I'll continue to do.

"so you want me to talk...then I'll talk." I said simply, him listening. "When I was younger, around fifteen maybe fourteen I got arrested for vandalism...and no one ever came to pick me up so I stayed there for years and years. Until the night you guys found me. My aunt had come finally and then she dropped me off at the park."

"But why's she leave you there?" He asked. "She doesn't like me much, and I've never really known why." I lied. I told a big lie at that, which I knew would soon become a spiral of lies but he trusted me. He believed me. At this point me turning up missing would hurt him, but it was better than drowning him in the sad truth.

He pulled me into a hug and sighed "I'm sorry I don't meant to push you about it or anything...it's just your so closed off sometimes." He says. I nod in agreement "how about we do something fun today, get our minds off of all this." I suggest.

He nodded "how about the fair?" He asks. I nod and each of of separate to get ready. When he and I arrived there, the first thing that caught my eye was a giant wheel.

"Hey jo, what is that?" I ask pointing to it. "A Ferris wheel?" He asks handing me my tickets. "I've never been to a fair before. Can we get on it?" I look up at him. He smiled "duh, anything you want."

He and I stood in the line talking. "You've really never been to the fair before ?" He asked. I nod "could never really afford it I guess. Either that or the fact that my mom-"

"no no, no more sad stuff. This is a happy day for you and for me. Forget all that other stuff." He smiled. That was enough to make me fall in love with him, but I couldn't. I told myself a million times, no attachment.

When we got in the Ferris wheel I could see everything from up high. Everything was lit up nicely and all the people looked like tiny ants from that height. "Your so cute, it's like your seeing the world for the first time." He chuckled.

I turned to him and smiled "and it couldn't be better." We looked at eachother awhile before kissing. It was like everything was working out right, everything was finally making sense. Maybe I was meant to meet Joey, maybe I was actually meant to stay.

"I love you, chase."

"I love you too Joey."