Chapter 50- NEW BEGINNINGS?

SONG: Sleep It Off- Niki and Gabi
I love it♡
---------

Before he could gulp down the contents of the glass, his phone began to ring.

He checked the caller ID and it read;

'Dad'.

Why had his father been calling at one am? And had he been prepared to talk to his father after receiving the shocking revelation about him?

He had been cheating on his mother.

He answered the call.

"Hello," Jayden answered, his voice slightly raspy from the alcohol.

"Jayden, h- how are you?" Mr. Benson stammered.

His dad never stammered.

Jayden replied, "Alive."

"You don't sound good," Mr. Benson noticed, "Are you okay? Did something happen?"

"Things happen all the time," the raspiness in his voice wasn't leaving anytime soon.

His father was silent for about ten seconds, before inquiring,

"How's Lara?"

"Great," his flat expression highly contradicting his remark.

Jayden added when his father was silent, "She holds you in very high esteem, you must be happy."

"Is everything alright? You don't sound good, son, are you drunk?"

"Nope," he tried to sound enthusiastic despite his voice's hoarseness, "Why did you call? It's one am. Lara and I are trying to have a good time," sarcasm dripped from his lips into his phone.

Mr. Benson cleared his throat and went straight to the point, "Have you received any message from any strange number?"

"Why?" Jayden questioned.

How had his father been aware of it?

"If you do receive any message from an unknown number, IGNORE IT. Someone's trying to ruin my family and my marriage with false accusations."

FALSE?

"Who?"

"I don't know yet, but I've got a pretty good lead. I'll sort everything out. Just, trust me and don't believe a word. Okay, son?"

Apparently, dad, I am not permitted to be mad at you for cheating on my mother because I've done worse in the book of sins.

Jayden decided to remain silent.

"Take care. When are you coming, though?" Mr. Benson asked.

"Lara will come today," he simply stated.

"Are you sure you're okay?" his father wanted to know, "Don't get sick. Your birthday is only a month away."

And Lara's is next week.

"I'll try not to. Goodbye."

"Good night, Jayden."

Jayden strongly gripped his phone after hanging up, tears of anger begging to be released from his heart. However, he shut his gates harder and after downing the contents of the glass, he threw it across the kitchen, the fragile item shattering into several pieces over the sink and floor.

He wearily rubbed his face and passed his fingers through his dark tresses, an instant memory of Lara twisting her fingers through them flashing through his mind.

He abandoned the wine, placing her needs before him once again as he had to be sober enough to drive her to her mother's house.

***