CHAPTER 56- PEANUTS

A simple glance at the hand Lara had been trying to conceal had been enough for Brie.

"Oh. My. God," Brie gasped, "What the hell- Have you been cutting yourself?"

"I'm tired," Lara's voice was wobbly as she stressed, "Just tired."

"What?" Brie exclaimed, "What did he do?"

"You don't understand. It's not just Jayden. It's..." she gulped, eyes watering once more, "It's me."

"There's nothing wrong with you," Brie clasped her hands, however, gasped after seeing her other hand, "You cut your other hand? Lara..."

"There is. I'm a problem. This is not just about Jayden. I had a reflection."

She had been the problem all along. The walk in the park had discarded the blindfold from her eyes.

Recounting all of her moments with Jayden, she realised that he had sacrificed almost everything for a relationship with her. He had taken a dangerous walk down the personal maid road again, believing that this time, it would be worth it. That she would be worth it. He had trusted her.

But, she had let him down.

She always let people down.

Her mum, her family, Jayden.

Herself.

Jayden had never been the problem.

She was.

Brie sighed, "Whatever you reflected on was wrong. You're one of the nicest people I know. And that's rare coming from me, mind you."

"I'm not," Lara insisted, holding Brie's gaze, "It's me. It's always me. Today, I finally realised that I am the problem."

Brie then pulled Lara towards the smaller living area and sat her down on a sofa, sitting beside her as she insisted,

"Tell me everything. Don't leave out a single detail."

***

The next evening, Dana waited at the door of Pierre's apartment with his neatly pressed clothes in a transparent plastic dustproof bag.

She remembered when she had bumped into him with a tray filled with coffee and sandwiches and had ruined his fresh clothes. His shirt and pants had been stained and she had assured him that she would deliver his clothes to him after ridding them of the stains.

Standing at the door, she could hear music coming from inside the apartment. She also heard several voices behind the door of the apartment.

He obviously had people over. Maybe he was throwing a party?

Just then, the door swung open and Dana laid eyes on a tall, slim lady who effortlessly rocked a black pixie cut, her golden brown eyes complimenting her rich caramel skin complexion.

"Are you here for the bash?" she asked with a huge smile that Dana would never be able to wear without being labelled as fake.

Dana shook her head, "No, I uh," she lifted the bag containing the clothes, "I'm here to see Pierre. Is he here?"

"Sure, come in," she opened the door wider and closed it behind Dana as she led Dana past a number of hyper young adults jamming to EDM songs. 'Who Do You Love' by the Chainsmokers ft. 5SOS was on.

The girl led Dana closer to the middle of the room where Pierre had deeply been engrossed in a conversation with two other people.

"Pierre," the girl called out, "Someone's here to see you!"