Chapter Twenty-seven:Who are you?

Julian's POV

I wake to a sound of music filling my ears. I roll onto my back and listen to Claire. Every now and then, she pauses. I go downstairs and see her at the piano. Her back is to me, but I can see her working on some papers propped up on the stand. Shes wearing tight black leggings and a frilly peach blouse. I smile and go over to her. I decide to scare her last minute and grab her shoulders as I say in her ear,

"I'm here to kidnap you." She jumps, tenses, and shrieks all at the same time as I laugh. She turns to me and slaps me,

"Oh my god! Who does that?!" I pull her up and apologize,

"I'm sorry. Who did you think I was?"

"I don't know! A pedophile... The grim reaper? It wouldn't surprise me if it was Max either."

"Max?" I question curiously.

"When he came to 'escort me' last night, I came down and he was standing in the dark saying, 'Hello, Claire.' Boys." She rolls her eyes at me.

"You hungry?"

"Yes." She skips to the kitchen and I follow her. Halfway through our cereal, she gets a call and when she hangs up, she looks annoyed. We finish our food and I say,

"Wanna dance?"

"When do I not want to dance?" She asks. "I'll go change."

"You're fine. Come on." I open the door to the studio and pull her in after me. I flip on the lights and get up the song.

"Don't I need my shoes?"

"Right..."

"I'll go get them!" She runs and comes back with a brand new pair.

"When did you get new shoes?" Caught off guard, she answers,

"Oh! Umm... They were a gift. It's nothing." I leave it alone. "Breaking them in is what's going to suck." She says.

"Let me see them." She hands them over warily and I take them.

"What are you going to do?"

"Break the shank. It's easy. Trust me, it helps."

"Where'd you learn how to do that?"

"Liz." I blurt without thinking. Immediately, I look at her with regretful eyes. She backs up.

"Who is Liz?" She asks slowly but strongly. I breath out,

"She lives in England. We...we used to date. We broke up."

"How long?"

"I'd known her my whole life, but we only dated for three years"

Her eyes widen in alarm, "Only?! Okay. Do you have any pictures of her?"

"Yeah..." I unlock my phone and scroll through. "I think so. Here." I show her the picture of me and my friends on the day we went to the London Eye.

Claire's POV

I take the phone and look at the picture. There's five people, including Julian. From left to right it shows a boy with red hair, a girl with green hair, a boy with brown hair, Jules, and what I take to be Liz. Judging from the way he has his arm around her and hers is wrapped around his waist. She has long, silky, straight black hair, hazel eyes, lightly tanned skin and pink lips. Her other hand rests on his chest. She's wearing dark wash jeans with a tight red leather jacket.

"Who are the others?" He points to them as he says,

"That's Ron, Vivian, and James. There's Liz."

"Oh." I turn off the phone and hand it back. I mean, I figured Jules had exes, we all do. But seeing her, makes me feel really jealous. I can't compete with a girl like Liz, I know that. Everybody does.

But why would you break up with her?" I gesture aimlessly. He looks surprised, but answers,

"She...she um...she broke up with me." He shrugs. What? He's just trying to make me feel better, convince me that even though he tossed away her, I'm still worth it.

"Why?"

"I don't really know. Told me the cancer was too much for her to handle." I'd like to meet this girl. Too much for her my ass. "Anyways, it's fine. You ready?"

"Yea-yeah."

"Okay. Try those." I lace the ribbons up and stretch. They feel better than my first pair, at least.

"Don't you need to change?" I ask him. All he's wearing is a pair of sweatpants and a tight white t-shirt. He shrugs in reply. "Okay. What are we doing?"

"You do choreography for this half, I'll do the other half?"

" I've always had other people tell me what to do, but... I'll try."

"I trust you."

"your first mistake." I mumble under my breath. "Okay..." Right when I'm about to start the music, the door bell rings. Talk about saved by the bell. "I'll get it." I run downstairs as fast as I can in my shoes and open the door with a smile. As soon as I see who it is my smile drops.

"Who are you?"

"Your Claire?!"