Chapter Five: Don't.

Claire's POV

I walk up and feel a stinging-throbbing feeling in my head. I wince and sit up. I remember everything that happened yesterday. In the other room I hear yelling, I get out of the bed and walk down the dark hallway. I see a boy my age in the kitchen talking on the phone. He's yelling at someone, and looking at something in his hand. I see my phone. What the heck?! And he's scrolling through my texts too! I want to tell him off, but instead I wait and listen,

"She told you that she was gonna go stand over the bridge rail and you didn't even respond?! What the fuck, man?" So it's Gabe on the phone. Ohhhhh... He's talking about the text I sent. I was kidding...
"Yeah! You were busy? 'I'm busy, so let's just let Claire DIE!' What?" He yells at Gabe, "you're kidding, right?" He laughs. "You can't be serious. You were busy with someone important? More important than your girlfriend's life? Who was that?" He pauses for the response, then growls,

"Well, lucky her. You know what, bastard? I'll take care of Claire." And he hangs up and slams the phone down on the table. He runs his hand through his hair and groans, "God!" He starts to turn around and I duck behind the wall. But he still sees me. Why am I even hiding? I didn't do anything wrong. I step out and try to be brave. I stand up straighter, "What were you doing with my phone?" I say, my voice cracking. He puts it on the table quickly and says,
"Oh hey! You're up!" Acting like nothing happened.

"Yeah, I am. I saw that," I gesture at the phone, "So tell me what you were doing." I said clearly.

"Claire. I was-that was" I raise my eyebrows at him and cross my arms as I tap my foot, " I-ok. Fine. I saw your bag and I got curious. So I found your texts and... look at it;" he grabs my phone and reads the last one to Gabe out loud.
"And I called him to see why he didn't respond when you told him you were going to- to kill yourself." He finishes quickly and waits as if to gauge my reaction. My jaw drops and I stand there, my face reddening. He sees my shocked face and continues with,

"Why would you do that?" He asks. I groan and mumble some choice words before grabbing my phone and stomping off to grab my bag. I sling it over my shoulder and have my hand on the doorknob when this guy grabs my wrist and holds me there. I spin around and say, "What? I have some important stuff to do. Can I go, whatever your name is?" He still holds my wrist when he says, " Important stuff like jumping off a bridge? I don't know what you're going through, but I'm not going to let you do that."

"Your right. You don't know. You don't know how important it is that I'm on time. I don't even know you! Why do you care, even if I was planning to off myself?"

"So you're not?" He says, doubt audible in his tone.

"No! I am not! Even with everything that happened... I can do it. Madam will see." I say starting off strong and then weakening. I look away and mumble, "I'm sorry."

"Hey, hey! It's fine. What's wrong?" I look at him,

"A lot of things! How do you even know me?"

"Everything happens for a reason. My name is Soren. I've seen you dance..." He takes a step closer to me, "So I know how talented you are." He moves towards me until we're inches apart. For some reason, I feel calm. Like its so wrong it just makes it right, somehow. He takes one of my hands and places his other on my cheek. "I just watch for hours..." He leans in and I do too.

Then I mentally slap myself as I break away and shake my head. "I'm sorry. I have a boyfriend, I can't." He looks at me and questions,

"Who? The one who just told me he was in the 'middle of something with his girl, Lacy?'"

My ears pound with the words. They echo and break me mercilessly. That's all it takes. I shake my head in an attempt to banish the words, and in defiance. Not accepting them. I tear up and say,

"That's not funny. I don't know what you want with me, or who you are... But that's not something to joke about. I bet you planned this. Watching me. Creep. 'Haha lets find the innocent girl going through hell, act like we're going to rape her, and then save her!' Real laugh. Yeah. If you thought I would believe that... 'Oh my savior! Kiss me!' Like you were gonna get some... No." My voice starts breaking, "Then call my boyfriend and tell him he doesn't care that I'm gonna kill myself... You are sick. That's not funny... It's not a joke or a game." I back up to the door and open it, all this time looking into his eyes, " I have enough to deal with. This doesn't help. Please... Don't."

I sob and run down the stairs and through the streets. Not stopping at Soren's pleads for me to stop. I run until I find the studio. Soren is catching up and stops right behind me. I'm early, but there's already two people here. I peer in the windows, and see Gabe and Lacy. Making out against a wall. I turn around and look at Soren. He takes in my devastated face and holds out his arms. He wraps me in his strong, welcoming arms and I stand there, crying into his chest as he just welcomes me. Simply murmuring words of solace in my ear, rocking me back and forth, and stroking my hair.