Chapter Thirty-Five: Stay Away

***

Claire's POV

When I wake up, my side feels very sore. I sit up and instantly regret it, moving feels like being run over with a truck, but numb. The pain meds must be wearing off. Jules is still sleeping. I get up and try to stand, failing miserably. I fall into a chair,

"Okay...not gonna do that again." I look around and see my wheelchair sitting there. I push up and switch chairs, sighing. I lift up the gown and see the brace. Wheeling myself out of the room, I make my way to the down the hall.

"Good morning." I greet the nurse as I pass by. Room 207. I knock before opening the door, "Violet?" I hear noises coming from the bathroom. "Violet? Are you alright?" I yell. A weak voice yells back,

"Yeah! I'm good!" Doesn't sound like it.

"Can I come in?"

"No! I don't want you to see me like this!"

"Open the door, Violet. I'm worried!" I jiggle the knob. Locked. "Violet! I'm coming in!" I pick the lock and open the door.

Violet sits on the floor, she looks awful. Blood on her lips, Drenched in sweat, and puking her guts out, she looks at me sadly. "Oh... Violet." She retches and vomits blood in the toilet. Red is all over the floor. I get up and walk over as well as I can manage. sitting on my knees, I pat her back, "it's okay. Do you want anything?"

"Water." She croaks. I get her a glass. When she stops throwing up long enough to stand, I say,

"Come on." I lead her to her bed and tuck her in.

"I'm sorry about the blood."

"That's nothing. It washes off, don't worry." By now, I have blood on my gown, my legs from sitting on the floor, my hands from touching the floor, my neck from hugging Violet, my arms from when I slipped but caught myself, and possibly my face from who knows what.

"It's hot in here." She rolls around.

"Okay. Lie still. Hang on." I fetch a wet washcloth and bring it back, dabbing her head gently. I have her blood on me, but it doesn't bother me. I like blood.

Whenever I was sick, my mother used to do this and it always helped. She relaxes and watches me. I place it on her forehead and grab a bedpan, just in case she has to puke again. I smile, "There. Is that better?"

"Yes, Thank you."

"Do you need anything else?"

She asks hopefully, "Will you read to me?"

"Of course! What should I read?" She shifts, grabbing a book from the bedside table and handing it to me. I take it and read the title:

Once upon a time

"Where should I start?" She points to Sleeping Beauty. "My favorite." I tell her, her eyes light up.

"Mine too!" I laugh at the newfound excitement.

"Lay back." I instruct her. I read the whole story. And every time I look at Violet, she has a different emotion playing on her face, one that matches the story. Her eyes are alive and bright as she listens intently to me. And when I read the last word, I shut the book and look up. With her hands folded on her stomach and her eyes closed, she looks very peaceful in her sleep. I lay the book down back on the table.

I lean down and kiss her forehead. "Rest well, Sleeping Beauty." She smiles in her sleep and I wheel out. I tell a nurse I see about the blood, and how Violet might need help later...and more blood.

It's still really early, so Jules is probably still sleeping. I figure I'll just wander for a little while. I pass through hallway after hallway, never hearing anything.