11.

_____________________

11. Desiree

_______________________________

Desiree had spent a total of five days working for Lucas and she was so looking forward to the weekend. It was Friday but all she could think about was Saturday, she could leave the house then by noon. She wanted to get back into her old clothes and feel the material cling to her body. She owed herself a night out and she was going to get it.

Sandra, the girl who finally got the deal done in her previous job had reached out to her. They hadn't been friends while she was at the firm but her concern over her sudden resignation was genuine. She'd asked if they could hang out on Saturday evening and Desiree had jumped at the opportunity to be with an adult that wasn't Lucas.

Staying with Lucas was driving her crazy. It was as if he was unaware of her, sometimes when she greeted him in the morning he simply nodded, other times he remained silent. The only time they talked was when he was thanking her for the meal or reminding her to get his son from school.

Bobo though was good company, he was like her little peace of mind. She played with him like they were age mates, and he didn't get mad at her when she told him the other day that she wasn't interested in playing hide and seek. He was a really good kid, and instincts told her to smother him with so much affection and attention but she didn't want him getting spoilt so she cautioned herself around him.

As she arrived at Bobo's school that afternoon, she waited in the car and tried not to get distracted as a soft melody played in the background. Her eyes were trained at the school entrance and at exactly twelve o'clock, she saw kids streaming out of their classrooms to the several waiting cars. She got out of the car and walked towards Bobo who was holding the hand of a girl his age.

"Hey," Desiree said to get his attention.

"Dee." Bobo was grinning. "This is Mariah." They ran toward the car and she increased her stride to catch up with them.

"Mariah, such a beautiful name. How are you?" Desiree said to the little girl.

"I'm fine, you?" Mariah said.

"Great, wher-" The vibration from her pocket interrupted her and she dug into her large pants for the phone. Lucas was calling. "Boss?"

"Desiree, can you look after Mariah for few hours? Her mom is usually late to pick her up on Fridays and she sometimes goes home with Bobo."

"Oh, that's no problem."

"I should have told you earlier but it skipped my mind."

"Alright, boss. I'll take care of the kids." She saw Bobo and Mariah fighting for his chin-chin and she covered the phone's mouthpiece. "No fighting, kids. Bobo, you can share with your friend."

"Okay, Dee," he said softly but not before she caught him kick Mariah lightly.

She sighed and Lucas spoke when she placed the phone back to her ear. "Is everything okay?"

"Yes, everything is okay."

"Alright, then. I'll be home soon."

"Bye." She ended the call and looked at the kids who already got flour and crumbs on their clothes. "Get in the car babies."

"I'm not a baby," Mariah said stubbornly.

Desiree rolled her eyes. "I know that."

They got in the car and Desiree made sure they had their seat belts secured. She drove towards the house and allowed Bobo and Mariah's ramblings at the back seat soothe her. The kids opened the car door as she parked in the driveway. They walked towards the main house empty-handed and she had to remind them to get their school bags and lunch packs.

Bobo and Mariah ran to the theater room while arguing on what to watch, and Desiree saw the living room disorganized with their bags on the floor. She got Bobo's things after placing Mariah's on the sofa and went to his room. Some days back, Bobo had given her permission to go in and out of his room as she pleased. It had made her emotional that he liked her that much. She smiled as got casual clothes from his wardrobe and went downstairs to join them.

"You have to change into this," Desiree said to Bobo. "Mariah, do you stay in your uniform whenever you come here?"

"Her clothes are in the school bag," Bobo spoke for her.

"That's good. Come, Mariah, let's get you out of your uniform." Mariah got out of the seat and walked out with her. Desiree turned to Bobo and quickly said, "Get changed."

"Are you his new mommy?" Mariah asked as they walked to the living room.

Desiree looked down at her in surprise. "I'm not, I'm his nanny."

"But, I got a new daddy." She smiled.

"Good for you."

"Will you help him get a new mommy? Bobo said you're nice."

"Nice, uh?" It was an awkward conversation and she had no idea how to distract Mariah. They got to the living room and Desiree found casual clothes in Mariah's bag.

As she helped her change out of her uniform, Mariah continued, "I told my mama I want a daddy and she got me one."

"You wanted a daddy and she got you one, aren't you just lucky?"

"Yes." She raised her hands as Desiree helped her into a top. "But, he goes to work."

"You don't want him going to work?"

"I want him to play with me."

"I'm sure he will when he's free."

"Do you want chocolate?" Mariah asked veering from the awkward conversation and Desiree gave out a breath of relief.

"No, thanks."

"I want. My mama said Mr. Smith can get me some."

"He isn't here but I can help with that."

"Why is your hair like that?"

Desiree shook her head and pretended not to hear the question. She didn't know how to explain the answer. "Let's go to the kitchen."

Mariah held her hand as they walked to the kitchen and Desiree got bottle water and cups. She added some of the red velvet cookies with Milky Way chocolate bar to the tray. She carried the tray to the theater room with Mariah behind her holding some bags of chips.

Bobo was already out of his uniform, dumping the clothes haphazardly on the seat. Desiree gently placed the tray in between two seats after she got the kids to settle down. They picked a cartoon she'd never heard of after she made sure it was kids appropriate. It could be Lucas' stuff and she didn't want to get in trouble for being careless.

Desiree went to the back seat as the kids watched the large screen TV. She got her phone and started chatting with her brother, Sugar. She allowed him know she wouldn't be available for the weekend. Sandra had sent her a hangout spot for them to meet and Desiree felt like she was extending an olive branch. She'd done nothing wrong to feel the need to do so and Desiree was going to tell her that when they met.

"Shush," She heard Bobo say.

"You, shush."

"You, shush shush."

"Shush, shush, shush."

Oh, God, they were fighting again. Desiree tried not to interrupt and soon they went back to watching the movie. Bobo had never shown her this side of himself. She'd seen him as a gentle, playful kid but around Mariah, he was something different. They'd had two fights in a handful of hours.

Their friendship took her back to her childhood. Her brothers had been terrors, they fought like dogs over the most basic things and they left her at the sideline watching. She remembered Hanye beating the crap out of Sugar one morning and when she'd ran to report them to Maa, she'd told her to ignore them and invited her to get in bed with her. Her mother had distracted her with stories about her father until she dozed off. When she woke up, the two boys were at a corner in the living room facing the wall. That was the highest form of discipline her mother ever gave but it worked.

The boys still squabbled and fought now and then but it was mostly for sport. They were as close as twin brothers and living together didn't cause as much trouble as she'd expected. Desiree made sure the kids were okay then continued chatting with her brother.