14.

_____________________

14. Desiree

_______________________________

Desiree was trying so hard not to feel bad after Lucas' comment. She hadn't meant to give Bobo a false sense of stability. But, Lucas didn't want to see that. Why would he think she wanted to be Bobo's mom? What kind of twisted mentality made him that paranoid? Fuck him, though. He wasn't going to ruin her perfectly planned weekend.

Lucas was such a conundrum. The night before when he'd gotten so close to her, she'd thought she felt something. Heck, she was sure she felt it. The tension in the air, the chemistry she had felt zinging between them...then she'd imagined him lowering his lips to meet hers. She knew now that it'd never happen, he'd made it clear when he explained why he helped with her button. It was only instinct and she wasn't going to make it more than it was.

Desiree hailed a cab and was dropped in front of her building, she went into her apartment and opened all the windows for ventilation. She was meeting Sandra in few hours but she needed to speed through cleaning the house due to dust collecting in some corners in her absence. By the time she was done cleaning, it was evening.

Sandra had called a couple times to confirm if she was going to show up and she'd told her exultantly that she'd be there. Desiree got dressed in a white, cut-out, ribbed, mini dress that bared her tummy and showcased her curvy figure. She tucked her locks into a wig cap and wore one of her wigs, a long, kinky, curly one. As she did her face, Jamal's call came in.

"Hey, boss," he said.

Desiree laughed. "I'm no longer your boss."

"Habit. Heard from the grapevine that you're going out with Sandra and I'm thinking of joining you guys."

"Have you asked Sandra?"

"Yes. She said, the more the merrier."

"She's right. I kind of need you there, I really don't know her and I don't want the evening to go south."

"Oh, she's cool."

"She does sound cool."

"See you soon."

"Alright, Jam Jam."

"Hey, don't call me that this evening."

She laughed. "Are you embarrassed by the cute nickname?"

"Makes me seem like your son."

"Alright, I'll keep it cute tonight. Bye."

She got her shoes and left the house after finding her car keys. Desiree got into Yellow Chili Bar and saw Sandra in a cute neon gown waving. She hurried to the seat and they shared a hug.

"Where's Jamal?" Desiree asked as she sat.

"On his way, he got delayed."

Sandra got out a compact mirror and checked her face before smacking her lips and dropping the mirror back to her bag. To Desiree, she looked nearly perfect, what with her hair in half-up double buns and red lips contrasting with sparkling teeth. She looked wholesome and vibrant.

"Okay. I don't know how to put this, but I need to let you know it's not your fault that I resigned."

"I know that."

"And you aren't obligated to check on me. I'm not complaining about you trying to make sure I'm okay but I don't want you doing that because you blame yourself."

"I know what you mean. Jamal actually told me what happened and I was only trying to be a good person. I can't imagine how awful you must have felt."

"I'm glad it's over."

"Do you know how I got him to sign the deal?"

Desiree shook her head. "No, I don't."

"I recorded him as he was asking to sleep with me."

"Jesus Christ! How did you pull that off?"

"I always have my phone in my hand so when he started talking about helping me so I could help him, I turned on the voice recorder."

"That's smart, I wish I thought of that."

"My heart was running wild as I was doing it. I was scared he was going to molest me right in his office."

Her hands shook as she thought of her similar experience. "The creep."

"Right? I sent him an anonymous email and threatened to air all his dirty laundry. I made it seemed like it was from a group and I told him he was being monitored. My tech friend helped with some things, like the mail address is untraceable so he'll never find out who it came from."

"I'm sure that would get him to stop harassing women. If the recording comes out, he'd probably kill himself."

"Exactly, but I'd never release it to the public, it's just insurance. When I went back to his office, he signed the contract and wished me luck."

"Did it have to get to this level for him to know he is a molester?"

"They don't see it that way. They give bunch of crappy reasons for their actions but it boils down to entitlement." She smiled. "Well, another animal has been stopped."

"Cheers to that."

"I could put word out and get you back in the business."

"Nah, I'd rather you didn't. Did you get promoted?"

"Not yet."

"I'm where I'm meant to be right now and I want it to remain like that." Desiree thought about her promise to Bobo, it had been a slip of the tongue and a mistake she'd never make again.

"What do you want?" Sandra asked as she picked up the menu.

Desiree picked the laminated paper close to her and asked for nachos and sex on the beach cocktail. Sandra said her choices too and while they waited for their food and drinks, she filled her in on what was going on in the office.

Jamal joined them as their drinks arrived. "Hey, ladies."

"You're so early," Sandra said.

"I was delayed. My neighbor wanted me to help with her zipper."

"Sounds like a script from a porn video, yea?" Desiree said.

"It sure does, except the woman in question is a sixty-five-year-old."

"You're living your best life. I'm sure she patted you on the cheek and ruffled your hair before you left."

Jamal shrugged at Desiree's statement. "I need a drink. I'll be right back."

As Jamal left the table, Sandra kicked Desiree in the shin. "Ouch, what was that for?"

"Isn't he cute?"

"Who?"

"Jamal."

"Oh, yes." Desiree didn't know if she needed to tell Sandra that she and Jamal once had a thing.

"What??! Nooooo." Sandra said reading her expression.

"It was just once."

"Are you serious? You and him? I don't see the connection."

"That's because there isn't any."

"How was he?"

"Oh, please don't ask me that." She didn't want to relieve that day all over again.

"I might have to find out on my own then."

"All the best."

"So, what are you both talking about?" Jamal asked as he came back to the table.

"Nothing," Sandra and Desiree chorused.

"How is the new job, Dee?"

"It's great. Looking after a kid makes me feel so happy and fulfilled."

"Is that right?"

Desiree took a sip from her glass and humored Sandra when she asked them to pick one person out of the crowd in the bar. They were to say something that seemed obvious about them from their clothing, facial expression or demeanor.

"What did this game teach you about yourself?" Sandra asked afterwards.

"That I'm good at making things up."

"Yes, but you're Positive Penny."

"Is that a bad thing?"

"Absolutely not. It's endearing, it's been a while I've met someone as positive as you are."

"Thanks, I guess."

"What about me?" Jamal asked.

Desiree was already seeing sparks fly between Sandra and Jamal but it seemed Jamal was unaware of it. She thought about how men were so slow at reading body language. Not that she was thinking of one man in particular.

"I think you're doomed like myself, we're too negative."

"I don't see it that way. I'd say I hope for the best and prepare for the worse, it's a survival instinct."

Sandra shook her head and said, "The lie we tell ourselves..."

"Can we get another round?" Jamal asked and the conversation was soon forgotten and switched for something else.

Jamal wanted Desiree's help for a marketing strategy and she gave him her honest review. Sandra excused herself to go to the bathroom and Desiree watched Jamal leave the table some seconds after. She knew what they were up to.

Sandra came in a couple minutes later with her lipstick gone. "Gosh, he's such a hot kisser." So much for thinking Jamal didn't read her body language.

"I don't need details, Sandra."

"My pussy is as wet as the rain forest right now."

She groaned at the vividness of her statement. "No. I don't want to hear any of this." Desiree covered her ears and Sandra started giggling.

"I'm definitely going home with him tonight."

"No pressure."

Desiree saw Jamal coming back to the table and she kicked Sandra's shin. Some of Sandra's lipstick had transferred to Jamal's lips but Desiree decided to act like she didn't know what was going on until he confided in her.

"I need to get going." She said.

Sandra looked at her watch. "So soon?"

"Yes, I need to be back at work by Sunday evening and I intend to get ten hours of sleep this night. I'll settle the bill on my way out. Sandra, you'll get the next one."

Jamal gave her a peck. "I'll call you."

Sandra blew her a kiss before she left them and walked to the cashier. Desiree got home and slept for hours.