28.

_____________________

28. Lucas

_______________________________

Bobo was in bed when Lucas got back to his parents' home and his mom was up waiting for him.

"Heard you went to see a friend." Lucas sat beside her on the sofa.

"She has a daughter I want you to meet."

"Mom, I'm not dating any one of your friend's daughter."

"Will you let me finish?"

He relaxed. "Okay."

"She needs a job. Can you find a vacancy somewhere in your firm for her?"

Lucas sighed in relief. His mother had never pestered him to move on, still he had to be careful. "Sure, I'll see what I can do."

She stood. "See you tomorrow."

"Goodnight, mom."

Lucas went to his bedroom after his mom left the living room. Bobo was sleeping in his bed and Lucas got in with him after coming out of the bathroom. He roused before anyone in the house and went about pressing his suit for church. Bobo's clothes were ready to wear thanks to Desiree. His mom entered the kitchen while he was toasting bread and he arranged three slices on a plate then passed it to her.

"Where's dad?" he asked as he pecked her.

"Getting dressed."

"Okay. I have to do the same, will you take over?"

His mom patted his shoulder and went to the toaster as he left the kitchen. Bobo was still sleeping so Lucas sat beside him and shook him gently.

"Dee?" Bobo called as his eyes opened.

"Dee isn't here. You need to get ready for church." Lucas didn't know who was more obsessed with the nanny, he or his kid?

Bobo got up from the bed and hugged him before walking to the bathroom. He got their overnight bag and filled it with the toys Bobo scattered around the house. They had to get back home after church service to prepare for Monday and he had to call the housekeeper to know if she was done cleaning the house before their arrival. Lucas dressed his son and sent him downstairs for breakfast before focusing on himself.

They were almost done with service in church when he got a text from Mariah's mother. He learnt she'd just put to bed and was currently at the hospital. Lucas sent a text saying he was going to be dropping by after leaving the church. His mom tapped his leg when she saw him on his phone and he whispered the good news to her. She smiled and nodded before focusing on the preacher. His arms wrapped around his son as he fell to his side while sleeping.

Lucas drove home with his son after service and they changed into casual clothes before driving to the hospital. He bought a box of small sized diaper at the store near the hospital and drove in. They were kept in the waiting room for a while before being ushered into the room where he saw Mariah's mom in bed with floating balloons around her.

"Congrats," he said as he got closer to her. He hugged her husband and sat in the chair that was given to him. Mariah was holding Bobo's hand while Lucas was given the sleeping baby to hold.

"How cute is he?" the three-time mother asked.

"So cute," Lucas gushed as he looked at the wrapped baby in his arms. He looked so peaceful as he slept. "I'm glad you both are doing fine." Lucas handed the baby back to the father and Bobo came to stand beside him.

Bobo whispered in his ear that he wanted to carry the baby also but Lucas said no. A baby was too delicate to be carried by another baby. He went to the car to get the gift and met Bobo sitting in the chair holding the baby with the help of Mariah's step dad. They all laughed as they noticed him standing by the door.

"It's nothing to worry about, Lucas. He's a natural."

"Yes."

"Dad, I love him," Bobo said smiling.

Lucas rubbed his son's head and smiled. The baby was taken from him and they waited for few more hours to keep the family company. Mariah was telling Bobo how much the baby suckled and he was listening intently. Lucas already knew this baby was going to be the topic in his house for months to come. He only hoped Bobo liked this one too much to ask for one of his own.

They eventually left when the mother started to tire from their visit. Mariah walked with Bobo to the car and her step dad walked beside Lucas, thanking him for the visit and the gift. He remembered how he had gotten close to Mariah's mom before their children even became close friends. It'd happened one day after PTA meeting. He'd been the only father in attendance as usual and she'd asked him why he never missed one of the meetings despite having a job. She'd assumed he came from work but he'd explained that he was a full-time father and that had amazed her even more.

They had become friends after she learnt their kids were in the same class. She assisted with Bobo when he didn't have a nanny and he also helped with Mariah before she married her husband. It was a relief to find someone in a similar situation and their bond had gotten stronger as time went on. He was especially glad that she had someone to help her now.

Her new husband, Henry wasn't bad as far as he was concerned. Lucas liked him immediately they were introduced. He only talked when replying to a question or when greeting. Lucas had also learnt that he was very hard working and loving.

Mariah hugged Bobo when they got to the car park.

"Can we leave now?" Bobo nodded and Lucas shook hands with Henry before securing his son to his seat.

Immediately he drove out of the hospital, Bobo started talking about wanting his own baby. Lucas knew he had to shut down the talk before they got home, he didn't want him saying his wish out loud to Desiree. He knew Bobo and he knew how unrelenting he could be when he put his mind on something and this would surely make Desiree uncomfortable at some point.

If he wasn't so busy with making a living and raising a son, he'd buy the boy a puppy just to shut him up. Realistically, he couldn't have a pet in his house because he couldn't take on the responsibilities that'd come with it, and it was going to be unfair if he bought one and dumped the problems at Desiree's feet.

"What was it you wanted to give to grandma?" he asked when he remembered his son talking about it.

"I already gave her."

"What was it?"

"Hairpins. I saw them in my sweets, the ones that come with gifts."

Lucas had no idea what he was talking about but he nodded.

"I got some for Dee, daddy. Do you think she will want them?"

"I guess so. Did you give Mariah too?"

"She has her own."

Lucas bought a cake on their way home and he hoped to distract Bobo with it for the few days it'd last. He would have to tell Desiree to offer him a slice whenever he brought up the topic of wanting a baby. They got home and Lucas got a slice for himself as well as his son before they went to the barbershop near the house to get Bobo's hair done.

When they returned, Desiree was in the kitchen whipping something up. Bobo ran into her arms and they walked around the kitchen singing along to the radio as she prepared soup for the week. She looked beautiful as usual but Lucas kept the compliment to himself. He focused on the counter as he ate his apple.

"Lucas?"

"Hmm?"

"I got ogi. Do you like it?"

"Yea, Bobo likes it also but I always forget to buy it."

Desiree smiled and went to the refrigerator.

"How was your weekend?" Lucas finally asked, he just wanted to hear her talk. He also knew nothing about her except for what came from the résumé and that wasn't much.

"Not memorable, I slept all through."

"Really? Do we stress you that much?"

"Oh, no, that wasn't what I meant. I had nothing planned so I stayed at home and slept."

"Sounds boring." His son was still in Desiree's arms and she was looking stressed from his weight. 'Bobo get down, you don't have to be carried and cuddled like a baby." Lucas had forgotten not to use the word loosely around Bobo. Desiree placed Bobo on the stool beside him and his son turned soulful eyes to her.

"Desiree, can I get a baby?"

She looked at him. "A baby?"

"Ignore him. Mariah just got herself a cute sibling and this dude here wants some of his own."

"That's amazing. How are they doing?"

"Fine, we saw them at the hospital. Bobo carried the B-A-B-Y."

"Lucas, I'm sure your son can spell that."

"Then we have to find a better code name for it."

"Yes, boss."

Lucas frowned at her reply. When had they gone back to being boss/employee? He had obviously not gotten the memo.