25.

_____________________

25. Desiree

_______________________________

Desiree blended the red cabbage and strawberries then added honey and yogurt to the mix and blended again. She poured the mixture into a popsicle mold and found some wooden stick to added to the overflowing container. She carefully carried it to the freezer and cleaned her hands by the sink.

Lucas had told her Bobo was going for a sleep over tonight and she wanted to outdo herself with the snacks. She started mixing dough for pizza, it'd be easier for her to prepare it when he was ready to leave the house. She checked her wrist and covered the mixed dough before getting the car key.

Bobo was bursting with energy as she got him from school.

"What do you usually take along for a sleepover?"

"My toys."

"I meant food."

"Dad buys pizza and popcorn."

"I'm making pizza but I didn't think about popcorn. Do you want me to make some?"

"Nope."

"Why?"

"Because pizza is better. Make two." He raised his hand and showed her two fingers.

"Your wish is my command."

Bobo giggled at her serious tone and she smiled. Wasn't he just the cutest baby boy ever? He made her want to pop one or two babies of her own. Desiree gave Bobo one of the popsicles when they got home and his facial expression was all she needed as payment. She got one for herself to cool off and they went to his room.

He chose a new pajama for his sleepover and Desiree sat in a corner watching him pack his small bag. He added his football and some toys into the bag.

"What about your school uniform?"

"Agh, Dee."

Desiree stared at him and when he saw she didn't look happy, he bowed his head and went to the wardrobe to get his uniform. When Lucas came back from work, Desiree had the pizza ready and she placed them in a box and saved the popsicles in a small cooler. Bobo made her carry him to the car while Lucas helped with the food.

He held on to her neck as she placed him in his car seat.

"Will you still be here?"

"Yes. I'll make you donuts when you get back."

"Super cool."

The promise of food made Bobo relax and she removed his hands that were around her neck. He gave her a noisy peck and waved at her as Lucas drove out of the gate. Desiree was eating pizza when Lucas got back home. He took a slice from her plate and she frowned.

"I've got yours in the oven."

"Oh, great. I'll get it then."

Lucas got his pizza and added extra tomato sauce and chicken before shoving it back into the oven. He clapped his hands and spun around. Desiree laughed, it was so weird to see Lucas looking so happy.

"What's funny?"

"You."

He came close to her and playfully yanked one strand of her locks.

"Ouch, Lucas."

"I'm just getting on your level. You know, the kid level."

"We're only three years apart."

"Really? You think I don't see how you play with Bobo like you guys are in the same age range."

"To make him feel better. That's the trick, you've to get on his level to really get his attention."

"If you say so. What's this?" Lucas was holding the business card she'd gotten from Juls.

"I went to the farm on Monday and met one of the farmers."

"Why do you have his card?"

"He gave it to me."

"That's pretty obvious. You don't need it right?"

"If you're asking if I'm attracted to him or going out on a date with him, I'm not. I like you."

"Thanks for clearing that up."

"I just don't like your little rule."

"Neither do I."

"Then why do you insist on it?"

"I can't explain."

"Your pizza should be ready."

"Thanks."

Lucas got his pizza and sat to eat. Desiree watched him as he ate.

"Is there something you'd like to do while Bobo isn't around?" he asked.

"I've been thinking of using the swing at the backyard and maybe watching the sky."

"I can join you."

"I wouldn't mind the added company."

Lucas' phone rang and she heard him talking to his son. Desiree went to the window when she heard raindrops. He ended the call and joined her by the window.

"Bobo said everyone liked the pizza and popsicles. He was extremely happy."

"I'm glad I made him proud."

"Thanks for being there for him. You do spoil him sometimes but I guess it's part of-"

"Nah, I don't spoil him"

"Do you not see how attached he is to you? He would have asked you to go with him if he could."

"Now you're exaggerating."

"Alright, be coy."

Desiree smiled and looked through the window. "We can't stargaze anymore because of the rain."

"Did Bobo take his blanket?"

"He did. Whose home is he having the sleepover?"

"A friend's. His kid attends a different school but he and Bobo are friends so we always plan sleepovers just so they can remain close."

"That's nice. I thought it was probably his mom since he was so excited."

"No."

"Oh, okay. Where's his mom?" She knew Lucas could go cold on her from the enquiry, but life was a risk.

"She's not around."

"That explains a lot."

"I need to catch up on some paperwork."

Lucas demeanor had suddenly changed and Desiree was almost regretting asking him such a personal question. "That's fine. I'll leave."

"Night."

Desiree walked to the guesthouse under the drizzling rain thinking about what Lucas said. If they had a nasty divorce and split, that could be saddening for him. For her sake, she hoped his wife wasn't somewhere, traveling maybe and Lucas was left here kissing her. It'd basically be cheating and she wanted no part of it.

She had to find out if he was ever married or was still married. She couldn't keep making out with Lucas without knowing anything about his family. She'd literally die if she found out Lucas was cheating with her. It was disgusting just thinking about it. She really needed to get all her facts before committing herself.

The problem was who to ask. She was sure the housekeeper, Letty wouldn't say much even if she knew something. Lucas was being evasive which was typical and she couldn't ask Bobo. She'd wait until the information fell on her laps.

Bobo was hyperactive as he came back from school. He'd gotten a hundred-piece puzzle as a gift from his dad's friends and he was keen on arranging it to form the colorful map picture on the box. Desiree got him a cup of milk and gave him some of the store bought cookies in the house before he started. Bobo didn't ask for her help and she was happy that he thought he could solve it on his own.

"Dee, where does this go?" he asked later.

Desiree came closer to him and checked the continent he already arranged. "That's North America. It's all on the box, see." She showed him the position on the box and he nodded.

"Okay."

When he started arranging the Africa pieces next, she decided to give a suggestion. "Don't you think arranging South America next would have been easier. Look at the drawing, you have South America closest to North America."

Bobo scrunched up his face. "Hmm."

He went ahead to arrange the Africa pieces first before taking her advice and placing South America next.

"You should eat some cookies. You've been at this for a while now."

Bobo took a piece of cookie and she gave him milk to wash it down with. He went back to his puzzle and got started on Europe. She whipped out her phone and took a picture of him working. He looked so serious, almost as serious as his dad.

"Dee, can you help me with this?"

She took a closer look and saw him pointing at Asia. "You can do that by yourself."

"But I'm tired."

"Then you'll resume tomorrow."

"I want it finished today."

"But you're tired."

"That's why I need your help."

"Bobo, this is character building. What is worth doing is worth doing well, so I want you to finish this all by yourself."

"Dang it!"

Desiree froze. Was that a bad word? It wasn't 'fuck' or 'damn', it sounded less offensive than those but she wasn't sure if he could use the word.

"Bobo, that's not a very nice word to use." She made her voice sound grave so he could know how serious she was.

"I'm sorry. Can I go to my room?"

"Of course, but I'm not mad at you. I'll help you store your puzzle."

Bobo gave her a puppy smile. "Thanks. Dee, can I have popsicle?"

"I'll get you the one."

Desiree handed him the frozen sweet as she got back from the refrigerator and Bobo walked out of the kitchen.

"No running on the stairs," she screamed out when she heard his running feet. The boy was going to give her a heart attack if she wasn't careful.