40.

_____________________

40. Lucas

_______________________________

Desiree woke with a start and Lucas woke up beside her.

"Hey."

She rubbed her eyes. "Geez, we slept for so long."

"Yea. Do you want to go for a swim?"

"I should go home."

"Dee, stay. I'll stay naked all day, is that enough to convince you?"

"You don't play fair but let me see...I think I'll stay."

"Thank you."

"Is that the only way you can show your appreciation? I'm spending my birthday with you so do better."

Lucas licked his lips and stared at her until her breathing changed. He pushed her back and while he smoothed her hair, his fingers pushed into her core eliciting a gasp from her.

"How am I doing now?" he asked as his fingers curled into her.

Desiree raised her hips and his fingers went in further. "More than good."

He told her to lie on her stomach and he reinserted his fingers into her. "Let's see if you can still talk."

Lucas pushed her hips up and had her on all fours, then he went behind her and sucked her clit from the back until he felt her legs shaking. He quickly downed on a condom and filled her in. Desiree moaned his name as he moved in and out of her slowly. He helped her drag out her orgasm and they both screamed each other's names as they came together.

"You're good," Desiree said as he spooned her.

"Do I get an A for effort this time?"

Desiree turned to face him and he kissed her hard on the lips. She sucked his tongue and pinched his nipples. They made love again and Lucas felt like he was compensating himself from all the years he'd gone without sex. He went to the bathroom to clean up and joined Desiree in bed. His heart fluttered lightly as he stared at her sleeping peaceful. He felt content to have her by his side and hopefully someday, he'd make an honest woman out of her. As it was, he wasn't opposed to marrying a second time. He liked her so much that he'd walk the end of the earth for her. She was all he needed and he hoped she felt the same way about him.

Lucas kissed her lids and pulled her closer to himself. He woke up few minutes later to Desiree kissing his nose.

"Let's go for that swim you talked about."

"Okay." Lucas lifted Desiree from the bed and he laughed as she screamed. "I'm not going to let you fall so you can stop screaming."

"Are your hands strong enough?"

"Sheesh, girl. What do you think all the boxing is for?"

"To channel your anger."

"I guess I'm an open book then."

He carried her from the guesthouse to the swimming pool and acted like he was going to place her on the lounge chair but ended up dumping her into the pool.

"Lucas! It's so cold."

"You're only exaggerating."

"Come in then."

He dived into the pool and swam to attack Desiree as she went to the edge. He caught her just in time and tickled her as she tried to escape from his grip.

"You play too much, Lucas."

"Only with you."

"Kiss me again," she requested and he did her bidding.

They got out of the pool after getting exhausted from chasing each other. Desiree wrung out her hair and Lucas helped her dry it with a towel.

"Let's go find something to eat in the kitchen." He took her hand and they went to the kitchen. "Noodles or cereal?"

"Noodles."

"Okay, there's a hair dryer in Bobo's room and you can dry your hair while I cook."

"I thought I was going to have to walk back to the guest house to get mine, thanks."

"It's in the drawer beside his bed."

He watched as she climbed the stairs then focused back on the noodles he was preparing. Lucas hummed and grinned as he waited for Desiree. He was stirring the noodles when he heard her tumbling down the stairs. His heart stopped beating as he heard her cry and he quickly turned off the cooker before rushing to her side. Lucas saw Desiree at the foot of the stairs holding her leg and crying in pain.

He knelt beside her. "What happened?" He lifted her from the floor and took her to the living room. "Where does it hurt?" he asked when she didn't stop crying.

"I can't, I just can't."

"What?"

"I was coming down the stairs then I smelt smoke. When I turned around I felt something cold walk past me, I got frightened and lost my footing."

Lucas sighed. "What's this smoke you keep on smelling?"

"Don't you get it?" she shouted harshly and Lucas frowned. "Your wife is targeting me."

"My wife is dead so this doesn't make any sense."

"I know that, Bobo told me and he also told me he talks to her. She's a ghost, Lucas."

"Are you okay? Did you hit your head when you fell?" he asked cautiously so she wouldn't take offense.

"Think about it. The oven goes off whenever we leave the kitchen, the day I kissed you the key went missing then the night you came home late..."

"What happened then?"

"I was locked in the room, the door wouldn't open and somehow you opened it from outside and now that I've had sex with you, I fell from the stairs."

Lucas laughed at the blatant joke. "Dee, you're funny."

"I'm not joking!!! Your wife is a ghost and she's targeting me for whatever reason. I like you, Lucas but I did not sign up for this mess."

Lucas stood. "Let me get this straight, rather than admit to your clumsiness you'd blame my dead wife. Emphasis on dead. Does this make sense to you?"

"I'm not clumsy. I've talked to everyone about ghosts and I wasn't sure before but now I know. There's a ghost in this house whether you like it or not."

"I need you to leave. I'm sorry, but I can't excuse this, you're fired and I'd suggest you visit a mental facility because I've never met anyone that lies as convincingly as you do."

"You think I'm crazy? I just fell down the stairs and you think I'd make this up?"

"Frankly, I don't care and I'm mildly concerned about your mental health."

"I quit."

"I literally just fired you."

She stood from the chair and tumbled. Desiree pushed his hand away as he tried to help her from the floor and he watched her stand on one foot. Lucas watched her leave the house and minutes later he heard her dragging her luggage. Lucas still didn't know exactly what was happening so he was hoping she'd turn around and tell him it was all a sick joke.

He stopped thinking of it as a joke when he got up the follow morning and saw no text from Desiree. She was gone, just like that. Something had to be wrong with her. Who made up lies for no reason at all? She talked about the oven but anyone with a lick of sense could tell it was definitely a mechanical issue. Lucas sat on the kitchen stool for hours thinking about all Desiree said. The fact that she was making him think of the possibility of a ghost even though he knew she was lying was extremely upsetting.

He hated himself so much. How desperate was he to have fallen in love with the first person that made an effort in making him happy? Was he that cheap? Sweet talks and beautiful smiles had made him questioning his beliefs. He never wanted to see her again. She was bad news and a compulsive liar. Bobo would have to come to terms that his nanny was gone forever. There was no way in hell he'd let her come close to his son.

He laid in bed and thought about his life and how she'd played him like a fiddle with her little charade. Lucas dusted himself up and prepared the house for Bobo's arrival. He went to the guest house and found the key to the house he'd given her on her first day on the center table. Desiree had crossed the line and it was his fault for mixing business with pleasure.