Chapter 14

Aria's POV
     I wiped off the cold gel from my bloated stomach. Derek gave my hand a reassuring squeeze as I stood and pulled my blouse further down my stomach. "Thanks doc" Derek shook hands with the doctor. "The baby looks healthy, we should be able to check the sex of the baby the next time you come in for an ultrasound" she informed us. I gave her a quick hug before we left the room, Derek manning my bag over his shoulder.

   "My feet hurt" I groaned as we made it past the front desk. He  smiled and held my hand so I lean into him "Maddy has her baby shower scheduled for Saturday" he told me. "I hope there's lots of cake" I said. I'd been craving red velvet cake since the crack of dawn today. "I can't wait to have this baby so I can have a whole bottle if booze, I've been sober for four months straight" I complained as we made it to the parking lot. I could easily spot one paparazzi over by the hedges but I chose not to say anything about it.

  "You still can't have booze immediately after you have the baby. You'll be nursing" he said with a grin. He was enjoying this, a lot by the looks of it. "Crap" I cursed, throwing my free hand in the air due to frustration. "But I on the other hand will be having Bourbon as soon as we get home" he bragged as he opened the door for me and helped me in. "Jerk" I swatted his chest. He laughed and closing the door, he jogged round the car and came in beside me. He turned on the Ferrari and we sped out of the hospital parking lot.

    "There's my favourite daughter in law" Stacy chimed as soon as we walked into the house. "I bet you tell that to Maddy too" I fake pouted as I hugged her. She laughed, her ocean blue eyes dancing; the same ones dear Derek had.

  She pulled away from me and caressed my cheek "I know it isn't until tomorrow, but I just wanted to say happy first anniversary". I felt the tears swell in my eyes "oh Stacy, you know better than to take the emotional train with a pregnant woman" I sniffed as I hugged her. She smiled "but you don't get your gift until tomorrow". Just then, Derek walked into the house. Although I was the pregnant one, I seemed to walk faster than him. "Hey mum" he walked up to her and kissed her cheek. "Hey dear" she smiled as he pulled away "I just came over to check up on Aria and spend some time with Sally" then she whispered just so Derek could hear, but I read her lips "truth be told, I really came for Sally's chocolate cake and the good  booze you hide in your office at home". While Derek barked up in laughter, I had a scowl painted on my face "well I'm offended" I said, folding my hands. She giggled and kissed my cheek "but I still love you" she offered as some sort of consolation prize.

   We talked for another hour or so before she left for million dollar wives club. It was basically a place where the rich and MARRIED women of New York city all came together three times a week to drink wine,share exclusive gossip and talk about their most expensive purchase of the day. It was also a place to wear your most expensive piece of jewelry, exhibit your most beautiful dress, much to the envy of others and drive to in your flashiest car.

As soon as left, I went into the room and ran a hot bath. Ten minutes into enjoying the scented soaps and bubbled bathtub and I fell asleep.

   I only woke up when I heard the room door slam shut. I got out of the tub, drained the water and rinsed the soap off my body before I wrapped myself in a towel and walked into the room. I found Derek sitting at the edge of the bed, his face radiating anger. "What's got you so worked up?" I asked softly. "You remember the lawyer our parents hired to preside over their contract together as well as our marriage, I can't really remember his name" Derek said. I nodded. Dad and I went to his office in Brooklyn the day before the wedding.

  "Well he paid us a visit as soon as you came up the stairs" he explained. "What did he want" I asked, confused.

  "He brought the divorce papers for you to sign" he ran his hand through his hair "he said our parents contact together would be successfully completed tomorrow and since we obeyed the guidelines of the contract on our own end, we were now free to be divorced without any impending damage" he explained further. Now I knew why he was so worked up, he already signed his own part of the divorce papers long before it was even mature enough to be signed. All that was left was for me to sign my own part and we were divorced.