Chapter 20

Derek's POV
      I watched as she accessed the rings.
    "This one looks better" she said picking it up, then the other "but this one is more unique. I love both" she said in frustration.

    "I want to do it right this time Dawn" I said, looking at the rings.

   The first was a classy ring with a big diamond sitting at the top. It was beautiful and I bet it'd glitter in the sun. The second had a blush pink heart shaped diamond and a little white diamond stud sitting at the valley of the heart.

    "I think she'll love both of them" Dawn tried to play coy with me.

    "We'll take the blush pink" I said to the woman behind the desk.

        "Sir, that's nine hundred and fifty thousand dollars. Its the tenth most expensive ring in America" she said with a smile "good choice".

    I pulled out my cheque book "well it's a steal" and I quickly wrote a cheque.

      "Thanks Dawn, for coming with me today." I told her as we walked back to my car. She smiled at the tennis bracelet I just got her "its a win win. I'd say the trip to Tiffany's was worth it".

   I chuckled and shook my head at her.

    "I'm so nervous" I finally admitted, earning a giggle from her "well you married her the first time already".

   I took my eyes off the road for only a second to stare at her "well I didn't ask her the first time. What if she says no?" I said out loud, earning laughter from her.

     "Now that won't happen and I know it" she shook her head, still admiring her new bracelet.

      "It looks beautiful on you by the way" I said with a genuine smile. She returned the smile back "such a charmer".

   "I try my best" I replied, earning an eye roll from her.

    I had been planning the proposal since the lunch with the Jung's three weeks ago. I needed everything to be perfect for her. The first time we got married, she never had an engagement ring, never had me on one knee asking her to marry me, but I'd do it now. She deserved it.

   I dropped Dawn at her place and started to go the opposite way from home. There was someone I needed to see first.

    The workers led me into the house and to  the poolside where he sat under an umbrella, enjoying the breeze.

   "Derek" he patted my shoulder when I stood in front of him.

   "Mr Montgomery" I acknowledged, sitting only when he motioned for me to do so.

    "Drinks?" He asked, motioning for the butler who stood not so far away.

   I shook my head, indicating I was fine.

      "So to what do I owe this pleasure" he gave me a broad smile, one that reminded me of Aria.

   "Its only proper that I ask you first" I took a deep breath and was about to ask for his daughters hand when he spoke up "I give you my blessing Derek. And thank you for awarding me enough respect to ask me first" he relaxed into his seat.

    "What?" I blurted out "how did you know?".

    He gave a healthy laugh "that's because that's the same look I had when I went to ask for Sophia's hand too" he said, before another healthy dose of laughter.

   I chuckled "that obvious huh".

   He moved close, as if not wanting anyone to listen to our conversation "Aria is very good at reading situations. If you take her to a fancy dinner with soft music, she'll know something's up. No flowers, no fancy suit. Take away the element of surprise. She'll be in awe when you finally propose" he confided.