Chapter 1 - These Things I've Done

**Kellin's POV**

It has been eighteen years since Micky died in that car accident. Eighteen years since I've seen my wife's beautiful face. There have been girls who threw themselves at me, being the lead singer of a now-famous band. Looking back, I wish more than anything I could have shared the band's growth with the love of my life. I've worked hard to raise Anna right, to never forget her mother. Not a single date or relationship for me, because in my mind, I am still married to my love, my pink-haired bit of heaven.

Suddenly, Anna caught my attention, thundering down the stairs on her first day of senior year. I snapped out of my memories and looked at her. She wore an old band tee I had given her and dark-wash skinny jeans. Purple galaxy Vans covered her feet, with the same shade of purple streaked through her naturally black hair. I had never argued with her over her clothing choices, as she preferred her current outfit over the more revealing ones the other girls seemed to like. God, she was so like her mother, next thing I know, she'll be dying her hair bright pink and dating a singer. God help the first boy to hurt my baby girl. She had relationships before, but never any that lasted more than a few dates before she told them to get lost, again reminding me of Micky.

She grabbed an orange from the basket I kept on the table, and headed out the door to my car, peeling it on the way. I had promised a car to her for graduation if she would be willing to wait until then. Surprisingly she agreed. I shook off my thoughts again and followed her, hearing her music cranked up before I even opened the door. Chuckling to myself at her choice, I opened the door and turned down the volume as I got in.

“But dad!” she began, reaching for the volume knob. “It's uncle Vic's new album! And I love this song!” She reached for the knob again, cranking it up and singing along to Caraphernelia by my best friend's band, Pierce The Veil. I chuckled at her and let the song choice go, putting the car in gear and heading out the driveway and to school.

*     *     *

Once we had arrived, Anna jumped out of the car, grabbing her phone from the cupholder and her backpack from the floor. I, as usual, watched until she reached the door. That's when I noticed her do something very different from normal. All of a sudden, she stopped, looking out past my car. She just nodded towards the other vehicle, and I craned my neck around to see who she was nodding at. I did a double-take, blinking and actually rubbing my eyes, sure they were playing a trick on me. What the heck?! Was that..? No, no way. But it was. My dead wife, or who I thought dead for the last eighteen years, was sitting right there in a car, watching our daughter go into school. She looked different, naturally, but I knew it was her, you can't forget the face of the person you swore to love for the rest of your life before they were viciously ripped away from you.