Chapter 4 - Tally It Up

**Anna's POV**

"Anna, this is your mother." Dad said. I'm pretty sure my jaw actually hit the floor when he said that. Mentally shaking myself to unfreeze, I looked at her. Short, brown hair and the same eyes I have, ice blue.

"Wait, I thought Mom had really long hair," I finally spoke, cringing at my shaky voice. What the heck was wrong with me?! I oughta be happy to find my mom alive after eighteen years. Suddenly, anger shot across me. "If you are really my mom, where the crap have you been for my entire life?!"

Dad moved to touch my shoulder, but I twisted away from him, yelling again. "You are NOT my mother, the mom that Dad told me about wouldn't just abandon us!" I shot as much venom into my voice as possible. Before either of them could reply, I turned and walked out of the restaurant, stalking to the car and getting in to wait for my dad.

I sat there, fuming, for about ten minutes before I felt tears begin to make their way down my face. Reaching forward, I opened the glove box and took out the small picture of my mom that I knew Dad kept in there. I touched the faded photo, staring at her bright eyes and long pink hair. Was that woman in the pizza place really Mom? And if it was, would I be able to accept her, knowing she left us hurting?

I knew Dad always referred to her as his "wife" even though she died right before their wedding. He still wore his wedding ring, keeping hers on a chain he always wore. Shifting my gaze, I looked at the bracelet around my wrist. It was still the one Dad had given Mom at prom, the same night she attempted suicide. I sighed, making a decision. I pulled off the bracelet, and got out of the car, intending to walk back into the restaurant to talk to them. I froze halfway into the door when I saw my Dad kneel in front of her, instinct telling me to keep away from this scene.