Chapter 16 - Good Life

• Dedicated to Jesse.

When I was young and my mom was still alive, my whole family used to take vacations up in the Sierra Mountains. We owned a cabin there and spent most every summer playing in the leaves and going to outdoor movies. In the winter, we had the absolute best days holed up in the cabin, watching Looney Tunes and drinking hot chocolate. 

I remember the first time I set foot in the snow, I was four years old. My father took my hand and said, “Don’t eat the yellow snow.”

After my mom died, we considered selling the place. It was too full of memories of her. Even take away the pictures of us around, her voice and presence just embodied it. I could barely think of the place without bursting into flames. 

But eventually we realized it was silly to avoid it. We had some of our best memories in that cabin. Just because my mother is gone doesn’t means she shouldn’t be in our memories. So, when I turned fourteen, we returned to the mountains. I had my first cup of cocoa in three years. And I watched my favorite Looney Tunes episode. I broke down right in the middle of it, but I hung in there. 

It was my mom’s favorite too. 

.  .  .

“So, what should I bring?”

“Well, it’ll be chilly. Pack for that. We’ll probably spend most of our time inside. I have a lot of DVDs. But we won’t be bored. There’s plenty to do in the town.”

“Okay. I’ll talk to you at six?”

“Yeah.”

I hang up, setting off for Matt’s room to finish his packing. He’s the simpler one. As long as he has Benny, he’s good to go. I zip his Bob the Builder suitcase and set it by his door. 

George is still dancing in the living room. Once I told him he would have the weekend to himself, he planted a fat, wet kiss on my cheek. I barely kept from shuddering and laughing at the same time. I patted him on the shoulder and hiked up the stairs. 

Now I’m surveying my choices of clothing. I can fit into some of my winter selection, i.e,  yoga pants, sweaters, sweatpants. I gave up on most of the rest of my wardrobe last week. None of my dresses are appropriate anymore. I can’t wear my shirts or shorts. My butt is gaining baby weight too. Don’t ask me how that works, or why that’s fair, because I couldn’t answer if I tried. 

I end up dumping most of cold weather clothing in my Toy Story suitcase and being done with it. I feel the baby kick as I head to the kitchen to get some lunch. Hmm, what’s calling me today?

Jam on a corn thin and broccoli it is. 

I flip through the TiVoed shows, finding an older episode of The Office. I squint at the title, until I realize it’s the last one Steve Carell was in. 

Let me tell you. 

Watching Goodbye, Michael when you have a baby playing with your hormones like a rattle is not a good idea. Even I wasn’t emotionally unstable, I don’t think I’d have made it through without tearing up. The sang freaking Seasons of Love to him. Come on!