Chapter 17 - Of Course

“I’m going to take Matt outside to play some catch.” Zack says. 

“Okay. I’m just going to clean up lunch.”

Zack sets off with Matt tossed over his shoulder like a sack of potatoes, his mitt and ball in his hands. I laugh at them, shaking my head before setting off to finish the dishes. 

I set them in the drying rack and grab a cloth to dry my hands, heading over to the bay window to watch them. I lean against the wall, feeling the baby kick. “Yeah. That’s your big brother. He’ll teach you all kinds of things. He’s a good boy.”

The baby kicks again, and suddenly I get a really vivid vision. Me, holding a baby in my arms. I feel such a connection to her, it’s amazing. And somehow I know the baby is a girl. 

I suddenly feel like wrapping my arms around my stomach and never letting go. I mentally slap myself out of it and refocus on Matt and Zack. How cute they are together. Playing catch. Like father and son. 

“Maybe someday Zack and I will have a family of our own. Right here.”

.  .  .

“Hey, you two.”

“Hi! Matt and I are ready to go out on the town. You?”

“Yeah! Where to?”

“It’s a surprise.”

I shrug, grabbing my coat. “Ready?”

“Let’s go.” he plants a kiss on my cheek. 

“Yeah!” Matt chimes in. 

We climb in the car. I lean into the back and strap Matt, squeezing his leg and smiling. 

“How is the baby, Lauren? Is it going to be a sister or brother? Are you the mommy? Will you stay once the baby comes? How does the baby come?”

I sneak a glance at Zack, wondering how to answer that question. Scratch that, those questions. 

“Well, the baby is good, Matt. We don’t yet if it’s a boy or girl. I’m not the mommy, your mommy is, and your daddy is the daddy.”

“Zack isn’t the daddy?”

I suck in a breath, avoiding Zack’s gaze. 

“No.”

“Oh.”

“I’m going to stay once the baby comes. And the baby is in my tummy.” I respond, hoping that answer will suffice.