chapter 6

"classy, sassy, and a little bit smart assy." 

Michelle sat in chemistry quite early simply because of the fact she didn't want to spend any extra time with her mother that morning. The woman was still mad at her because she wholeheartedly blamed her for Drew's disappearance. She didn't have the energy to explain how it wasn't her fault, and she didn't want to get slapped.

She glanced at the clock which read 7:56 AM and groaned, only four more minutes until school was supposed to start and she was not looking forward to it. Chemistry was one of Michelle's worst classes, she didn't understand how anyone could actually succeed in it. That was actually a major factor in her decision to force- no, invite- Peter to sit next to her. He was way too smart in this class for his own good. He might as well share his talents with someone else.

7:58 AM, slowly people started filing into class, she watched as Ned stared at her weirdly because she was sitting in the place he usually sat. But he didn't say anything just took a seat behind her. At 7:59 Peter walked into the class, he looked worse than he had the day before. She wondered if something had happened with his night activities. 

She watched as he slumped down in the chair next to her and pulled out his computer. He didn't seem to even notice that she was sitting next to him instead of his best friend. He typed in his pass code with one hand while he rested his chin on his other. It was quite the pathetic sight.

The bell rang and Mrs. Jones-and before you ask, no, she and Michelle were not related-made her way to the front of the class. "Good morning everyone! How are your mornings going?" She got no response other than a few grumbles but continued on anyway, "Well we have a new student in the room," she smiled brightly and gestured for the redhead that Michelle had seen in the library to stand next to her. Michelle wondered why the girl hadn't come to their class sooner if she'd already been on campus. She didn't care enough to find out.

"This is Mary Jane Watson, everybody say hi," Mary Jane looked around raising her eyebrows as only a few people muttered hello. 

There was a cat call from the back and Michelle twisted in her seat to see Harry Osborn wink at the new girl. She glanced back at Mary Jane who rolled her eyes at the boy. Maybe this girl wasn't so bad, usually the new ones fell into the trap of the rich kid Harry and his overly expensive clothes and his oh so charming smile. She remembered that they had been in the library together and vaguely wondered if they were friends.

"Mary Jane you can sit..." Mrs. Jones trailed off and glanced around the room at the various open seats. "Well how about you choose your seat, it is your first day after all." Mary Jane tugged at her backpack straps and made her way to the back of the classroom towards Harry. 

"Sorry sunshine this seat is taken," Harry said stretching out his feet onto the clearly open seat next to him, the girl made a noise and gave him the finger spinning around to try and find another seat. "Why don't you go sit next to the big guy, he looks lonely." Michelle could hear Harry's whisper from the front of the room and she was sure Peter did too because he tensed and balled his hands into a fist. 

Mary Jane, however, just smiled brightly at Ned and sat right in the chair next to him. At this point nearly the entire class was staring at the girl and either she didn't notice or didn't care. Peter blinked at her and Michelle could have sworn the girl winked at him. By the blush on his cheeks, she clearly had. Michelle didn't know why, but that left a bad feeling in the bottom of her stomach.

"Alright!" Mrs. Jones clapped her hands in an attempt to gain the classes attention back, "Today we are going to be starting a partner project!" There was a series of groans from the class including Michelle, "Oh but wait! You and your partner get to choose to research and test whatever you like! It's due in a few weeks, go ahead and get started."