chapter 14

"not knowing the thing that's chasing you is a lot scarier than seeing it right in front of you." -oren peli

"I just don't get it," Michelle paced the library her hands running through her hair, making it more frizzy than it already had been. Peter and Ned watched her carefully, they had tried to convince her to stay home for awhile and take some time to process what had happened, but she had refused. 

"How could this have been a carefully planned out murder? I mean there's no telling if she would have died in the crash or if she would have just been injured! And what if the brakes hadn't even snapped at all?" Peter and Ned shared an awkward glance as they saw the librarian eyeing them, Michelle wasn't exactly being quiet.

"Mj, how about we talk about this, somewhere else?" Ned was hesitant to even say anything, but her volume was starting to make people stare, and the FBI agents had told them they shouldn't tell anyone that they suspected murder, that it would make whoever did it act out.

Michelle glared at him but looked around the library, nearly everyone was looking at her. 

"I'm sorry, I'm just angry and worried, who's going to be next?" Her voice had softened considerably and she sat down across from the two boys at the table they were sitting at. 

"Maybe no one," Peter spoke up for the first time in awhile, "maybe the FBI got it wrong."

"But it's the FBI Parker, I seriously doubt that they're wrong very often." Michelle sighed and ran her hands through her hair yet again. 

"There's something they aren't telling us," Ned said glancing between Peter and Michelle who both looked at him in confusion. "It makes no sense that the FBI would just show up and know that your mother's death was a murder and that it was a trial run unless they were expecting something like this to happen."

"But why wouldn't they tell me? If I'm in danger then why would they let me come to school?" Michelle frowned and crossed her arms.

"They might not know who the real target is," said Peter, sitting up a bit straighter, "think about it, what if they were tipped off by whoever is doing this but they still don't know who's behind it, there's no reason to make you or your family scared by saying there's a murderer out there who they can't catch."

"Then why would they tell Mj that this was just a trial run?" Ned asked, and he was right, it didn't make sense.

"Maybe they let it slip?" Michelle said with a shrug, "I don't know but I'm going to need to have a long talk with someone and I'm gonna get some answers."

***

"I'm sorry I can't tell you anything," agent Washington said giving Michelle a sympathetic look, "I shouldn't have even told you anything about the murder, this case is confidential and is still in investigation." 

"Well you already told me and I'm not leaving until you tell me why you really took this case." Michelle crossed her arms, she stood in the police station in the room where the FBI were set up.

"We took this case to solve it," the woman said simply and walked to the other end of the room, pinning something to a board.

Michelle groaned, "I can help, please just tell me, I have a right to know, it was my mother who was murdered." The woman glanced sadly at Michelle, and glanced through the glass window as if checking if anyone was watching them.

"Look, all I can tell you is that we were tipped off that something like this was going to happen and then it did." Michelle leaned closer to the woman as her voice lowered, "the message said that there would be many murders before they got the true target." Michelle felt her eyes widen.

"There's going to be more?" her voice was barely a whisper and it shook with every word.

The woman nodded and looked out the window again, "this seemed to be the main idea of the message" she pointed to a picture that was in the middle of the board she was pinning things on. Michelle's mouth fell open as she stared at the words.

Say goodbye to Spider-Man. :)

***

"Are we ready for trial run 2?" A man in a suit stood in front of a computer watching the surveillance footage carefully. It was a live broadcast. 

He turned and glanced at the other man who stood in the room, holding a remote, "Yes, send the full dose and cut the brakes as soon as he reaches a red light." He turned back to the screen watching it with a small smile growing on his face.

The man behind him flipped some switches on the remote and pressed the transmitter button. 

"Boom," the man in front of the computer whispered as the cars crashed in front of him, he knew the man behind the wheel was already dead, the poison would have killed him almost instantly, but the fun part was the explosion. The reactions of the people around the crash. How everyone blamed the driver for the deaths of any other people who crashed into them. How the people cried for their loved ones. 

The men weren't worried about the M.E. finding the poison, it couldn't be traced back to them and even if it was, it would only make people panic more, which would just make this whole thing even more fun. And soon enough there would be no hero in spandex for them to turn to. Soon they would have Spider-Man. Soon they would have Peter Parker.

"The recording has been saved and downloaded to your computer," the man with the remote said and the other man nodded, he was nearly grinning now. 

"Dad?" a voice came from outside and the man's smile faded into a scowl. 

"What do you want Harry?" Norman Osborn opened the door for his son as the man with the remote carefully turned off the computer.

Harry Osborn looked at his father in disappointment, "you didn't remember that today was my presentation, I called you but you didn't answer. I aced it but you clearly don't care." 

"I was busy," Norman said simply, "Go do your homework or something useful for once." He shut the door without another word. 

Oh what a better son Peter Parker would make.

dun dun duuuun. omg i'm so sorry it's taken me so long to update, i have been super super busy and haven't gotten around to it! but dw i haven't forgotten about this story. and ooo it's been revealed who killed michelle's mother. why do you think he wants peter so bad? why do you think norman is doing this? let me know in the comments!! every comment seriously makes my day. vote vote vote!! love you all