chapter 20

guys FFH WAS SO GOOD AHHH

Peter had never been the half glass empty kind of guy. He'd always tried to see the bright side of things, even when terrible things were happening all around him. When his parents had died he was very young, but he remembered how his aunt May had taken him for ice cream every day for almost a year.

He knew now that it could'nt have been easy with her small paycheck. They would sit together and play the grateful game. They would name things they were grateful for no matter how small they might be. May taught him how to see the better parts of life, she helped him always maintain his chipper and upbeat attitude, but now she was gone.

Now Peter sat on the edge of the roof of his apartment building, he was wearing his suit but his mask was off. Tony Stark had been trying to call him through Karen all day, and he really didn't feel like talking at the moment.

He looked out over the city, his city, a city he was supposed to protect. But how could he protect a whole city if he couldn't even protect his own family?

He had nobody anymore. His eyes traveled to the ground, the people roaming the streets looked so small from where he sat.

He heard footsteps coming up the stairs and pulled on his mask, it was probably the building manager coming to check on things and he really didn't need to deal with his identity being exposed tonight.

Hello Peter, you have 7 missed calls from Tony Stark, would you like me to call him back? Karen's voice came through the mask.

"No Karen, ignore all incoming calls," he whispered as he heard the door open.

There were soft footsteps headed in his direction and he was tempted to swing away but he didn't move as the footsteps stopped a few feet behind him.

"What is spiderman doing sitting on the edge of a building?" he fought the urge to spin around as he recognized the voice belonging to Michelle Jones, he was glad he had made the decision to put his mask on.

When he didn't answer she moved closer to him, pulling herself up onto the ledge and sitting next to him, their legs almost touching.

"You should stay away from the edge, it's dangerous," he said, and his voice sounded emotionless, not at all like what spiderman should sound like.

"You should too," she retorted looking out over the city, "and besides if I fell, I have faith that you would catch me." Peter looked at her and their eyes met for a second before she looked away. He fought the urge to pull off his mask and just show her that it was him, but that would only put her in more danger.

They sat in silence for awhile and Peter liked that she was there, it was comforting knowing that she was next to him even if she didn't know his identity.

"So I repeat, what are you doing up on this ledge?" Michelle asks and Peter feels tears come to his eyes, he again, fought the urge to pull his mask off.

"I- uh, I lost someone, and I should have been there to save them." His voice was barely a whisper, he would be surprised if Michelle even heard him.

"P- um, spiderman," Peter froze as she corrected herself, she couldn't know, could she? "I get it that you're a superhero, and I hate to be this person but you can't save everyone. And when you don't save someone, It's not your fault."

"And what if it is?!" he didn't mean for his voice to rise but he couldn't help it, "Mj, you don't understand what it's like, I have these powers and if I can't save the people I love then what's the use? I have a responsibility and I'm failing." He didn't even realize he'd said her nickname and Michelle chose not to mention it, he really didn't need to worry about the fact that she knew his identity.

"What about that girl you saved yesterday huh? The one who almost got hit by a car? Or the cat you saved from a tree, or the lady you helped walk across the street, or what about that plane you saved from that man with all the Stark Industries tech on it? Those really don't seem like failures to me." Michelle was angry, angry at Peter for not understanding how much he meant to people. How many people believed in him and how many people considered him to be their hero.

Michelle glanced at Peter's hands, which were in tight fists, she moved her hand and took his. Forcing him to unclasp them. Their fingers intertwined, the red material was smooth against her fingers.

"You're a hero, and I get it, losing someone you love is terrible and it can break you down and make you want to quit trying but you can't. You have to keep fighting for the people who believe in you, keep fighting for the people you've lost, keep saving lives, keep being a good person." Michelle still stared at their hands and waited for Peter to say something.

"Thank you," he looked at her, the white eyes of his suit wide, "thank you for believing in me." She smiled and nodded before turning and hopping back onto the rooftop.

She held her hand out to him, "now come on spiderman, you've got people to save."

Peter looked at the girl who stood with her hand out, and he realized that he was in love with her, he loved Michelle Jones, and maybe he had been for awhile. But could he risk letting her in? Bad things seemed to happen to the people he loved. But he had to trust in her. And he needed her. He needed someone to hold on to.

And so he took her hand.

FINALLY I POSTED WOOO,, and i love them so much?? ffh was everything i wanted and MORE. please comment and vote!! i cant believe i have 20k reads on this story uwuw THANK YOU!!! I LOVE YOU ALL