Chapter Thirteen: Breakdown

AUTHOR'S POV   

Larry and Laurent are en route back home after the painful task of identifying their little girl whose lifeless body was atop the cold, metal coroner's table. Since Kaylee disappeared they have tried to remain positive about her coming home. They never wanted to think the worst and each time there was even a small creep of doubt that she would be found alive they pushed it from their minds. It's hard enough to imagine why anyone would kidnap a defenseless child...but what happened to their sweet girl is simply unthinkable and no child deserves it. Through the tears sweet memories of life with Kaylee flood their minds. Laurent is just as emotional as his love but he's also doing his best to console him. That would prove to be nearly impossible as Larry is now having a full blown panic attack. Laurent begins to rub his back whilst telling him to breathe even as tears steady roll down his face. When detective Brunet looks in the rear view mirror and realizes what's happening he promptly asks if Larry needs to be taken to the hospital. Larry raises his hand as if to say a hospital isn't needed and he attempts to regain control of his breathing though it proves to be difficult as his emotions are still heavy. Now that they're closer to their home they try all the more to come to a place of calm...albeit temporarily but they still have to break this news to Emma. The thought of explaining something so heartbreaking to a six year old who loves her big sister more than anything just brings their flood of emotions back...but now that the detective has entered their neighborhood they take several deep breaths. The car comes to a stop and the detective gets out to open the back door for them. It takes several moments because of what's about to take place inside their home but they eventually get out. Before they begin walking towards the front door they hear the voice of detective Brunet...

Brunet: "I'm so sorry for your loss and if there's anything I can do, please, let me know". 

*brief pause*

Larry: *sniff* "Just find who did this then throw them under the prison". 

Brunet: *nods* "Yes sir. We will do everything in our power to find and convict the person responsible". 

Larry: "Whoever did this is not a person, detective. He's a monster". 

Though the detective agrees he doesn't respond verbally as watching the emotions between them is a hard sight to see. He's witnessed child abduction cases that ended in heartless murders over the span of his career and each one is more stomach turning than the last. He watches the slow and solemn pace in their steps as they head for the front door and the words he spoke to Larry only moments ago about doing everything in his power to find this monster are magnified as that is exactly what he plans to do. Seconds later he's in his car and taking off down the street. Now that Larry and Laurent are at the front door they sadly look at each other. Without a word they fall into each other's arms to release more emotions as they also mentally prepare to tell mama...but mostly Emma and their minds are scrambling to find a way to tell her in the most delicate way they can. They expect her to be up from her nap and waiting for them but when they finally get the strength to go inside they don't see her. It's a bit of a relief as they aren't quite sure how to break it to her yet. They do see their sweet son in his activity saucer who happily bounces up and down when he sees them. He's too young to understand but knowing how much he loves Kaylee and always lit up when she was near pulls at their heart strings. They see mama coming down the hall and before she reaches them her face is reading fear of what she will be told. When she's closer she stops and nervously waits for the news. Laurent drops his mouth to speak...but words are halted. The silence is not only an indicator of what she feared it's also more crushing than hearing the actual words. She immediately bursts into tears and falls into Laurent's arms. Larry comes over and they comfort her together. The more she shakes the tighter they hold her. Now she can barely stand so they walk her over to the couch. Laurent sits next to her and she buries her face in his chest as he holds her. Larry is still standing and as he watches her two fresh tears drop from his face then he bends down to give her a kiss. Now he's hearing Ayden's cooing behind him so he turns around and walks over to take him out of the saucer. Ayden smiles beautifully at him and as he takes his tiny hand to grab Larry's nose a loud but tremendously sweet cackle resounds from him. Larry pushes a smile through and while they certainly plan to honor Kaylee's life everyday in every way they can he's also plagued with the fact that when Ayden is old enough to understand he and his love will have to explain what happened to the big sister he adored so much. The painful thought prompts him to bring Ayden closer to hold tighter and as those sweet coos continue to echo Larry begins to rub smooth circles on his back. He turns around to see the best mama in the world and the best husband in the world still holding each other whilst crying silent tears. Then he thinks about their Emma waking up and being the last one, the most delicate one to tell and his heart shatters into more pieces...