Chapter Twenty-Two: Case Break

Warning: This chapter will be very disturbing at a certain place so please proceed with caution.   

AUTHOR'S POV

Silence has enveloped the Bourgeois home. Moments ago they returned from lunch that wasn't the joyful family time they were looking forward to and very much needed with the constant stares and incessant chatter from other restaurant patrons. As a result they had to cut their time short as avoiding it all was just no longer possible so they came home where the rest of the evening would be much better and far more enjoyable since it's with one another...only bad news was awaiting Laurent. Larry has been sitting in the same spot and in complete shock about the letter his love received from the university. So shocked that he couldn't even tell Larry. He just passed it to him then took off for the bedroom. In between the bouts of hard silence are the soft sniffs from Larry whose tears are just starting to settle. He's spent at least twenty minutes crying for his love because when Laurent is hurt...he's hurt. He looks in the direction of the hallway that leads to their bedroom and he can't imagine the state he's in behind that door but he will comfort and reassure him that they're in this together. He slowly re-folds the letter and places it on the nightstand then stands to his feet to make his way to the bedroom. The walk there is a very quiet one signaling that the babies are still sleeping which gives him them more time together. Once he's in front of the bedroom door he slowly closes his eyes as he takes in a silent breath and when he opens them he turns the knob and pushes it open. The image before his eyes completely shatters him. Laurent's back is resting against the headboard and his focus is straight ahead as tears are steadily streaming. Larry tried to mentally prepare himself because he knew this was a very likely possibility...but of course that doesn't make it any easier as seeing his love in pain hits Larry right in his heart. He steps inside and quietly shuts the door behind him then walks at a slow pace over to the bed. He's gentle in climbing in and he comes closer to him only Laurent's focus is still straight ahead. When Larry sees two more warm tears slide down his cheeks he takes his hand to delicately place on the opposite cheek and gently turns his loves head so he can look at him. Larry begins wiping those tears away and Laurent's saddened expression as he gazes at his love is as if he wants to ask why but his mouth just can't form the word. Larry's heart is sinking now and he leans forward to give Laurent soft kisses to his forehead before looking back into his eyes. Laurent finally finds his voice though raspy and filled with pain as he asks, "is this really happening"? Larry's head turns up towards the ceiling as he can feel his own tears building again but he quickly discovers that it didn't help because the moment his head drops tears fall. He looks into those weepy eyes as he whispers, "it will be oki baby". Laurent just belts out a sigh of despair and a few sniffs later... 

Laurent: "I worked so hard and it was taken from me". *sniff* "We have the kids and the house to pay for. There's so much that takes money and...."

Larry: "Shhh. Don't worry for that baby. I can go back to work anytime and we have savings if we need it. We will be fine my love". 

Laurent: "But I'm supposed to help take care of this family and I can't do that now". 

Larry: "It will work out baby. You're innocent and once detective Brunet catches the monster who took Kaylee from us you will get your job back. Or a better one". 

*brief pause* 

Laurent: "Why can't all this be a dream bebe? Just a really bad dream and why can't we just wake up and have Kaylee back? We lost her and now this". *deep sigh* "I can't deal for this bebe".

Laurent is full blown crying again so Larry pulls him into his chest and rests against the pillow holding on tightly as he listens to the man of his life cry uncontrollably. It's such an emotional moment that his own tears can no longer fight and they begin sliding down his temples. With Laurent wrapped in his arms, and wrapped in his love, Larry consoles him. In between gentle kisses he reassures him that they will be ok financially. Larry always knew how brilliant Laurent is and because he's been exonerated he also reassures him that he will go back to doing what he loves. Laurent hears these comforting words and knows that they're coming from a deep place of love. A love that only Larry can give and he just holds on tighter as he continues to cry into him. Larry knows that his emotional state isn't just about losing his job but how this family has gone through so much with losing their precious Kaylee at the forefront. The grief from losing her will last a lifetime...but it was just a short time ago that they said goodbye to her so that grief is at its peak. They're still adjusting to not seeing her beautiful smile first thing in the morning. Watching her take care of siblings and the times her and Emma were out in the always beautifully landscaped backyard running around with laughter belting from them. Larry's emotions becomes just as strong as Laurent's and with every cry he hears he just keeps him close. In between he reminds him in a sweet whisper that he has him and to hold on for as long as he needs to. Eventually Laurent's tears stop...but the exhaustion from it all put him into a deep sleep. Larry remains awake and when he hears the voices of mama and the kids he carefully slides out of bed and leaves his love to rest. He arrives at the kitchen and hears mama inside but it's when he looks in the living room that he sees something which melts his heart. Emma is watching cartoons with her back resting against the couch cushion and Ayden is resting the back of his head against her. Her arms are wrapped around him and his tiny hands are grasping his bottle as he sips from it. It's picture perfect and thankfully his phone is in his pocket so he's able to capture the sweet moment between big sister and baby brother. Emma eventually feels her papa's presence so she turns her head...