Chapter Fifteen: Anonymous

AUTHOR'S POV   

One agonizing week has passed since the Bourgeois family said goodbye to Kaylee with each day getting seemingly worse than that heartbreaking day. Larry and Laurent have each spent time in her room where everything remains in tact. They've tried not to go in too often as one step inside the room is enough to bring them to their knees because they miss her so much. They've gazed at her bed and emotions overwhelm them when they realize that she will never sleep in it again. They've taken her books from the shelf to read as they slowly flip through the pages and her sweet scent even wafts from those. There are the sweet images of standing at the door and listening to her practice her violin or watching her read as they smile. Every part of the home holds a memory and they feel as though she's still here. Sleep has remained a struggle for them as they can't seem to get into a deep state of rest until late into the night. It's even gone into the early morning hours. The kids are usually up very early and with little to no sleep they try to appear as alert as possible when taking care of them and breakfast or any other meal isn't normal as their appetites are still limited. It's as if they're eating just enough to get by but they don't have their usual hearty appetites. It's still hard to believe that pain such as this exists and what's worse is the detectives aren't any closer to solving the case so having to deal with their daughter's senseless murder is that much harder knowing that it may be a while before she receives the justice she deserves. Every night their heads don't hit their pillows until they've said a prayer that she will receive that justice and very soon. They already have to live the rest of their lives without her so there's nothing that would put them at greater ease than knowing that her murderer has been caught and given the consequences he deserves. Larry thought about returning to work because he's so stricken with grief he thinks that perhaps he should return as his fast paced career always keeps him busy. But, he isn't sure how productive he would be because Kaylee is always on his mind. Same for Laurent. His career is a bit different in that the math department put another instructor in place of his classes who's following his syllabus so his students are being taught well. Emma is doing as well as expected though they catch glimpses of her face and they can tell that she's thinking about her sister in those moments. It's usually followed by a cartoon they loved and always watched together. When they noticed her watching their favorite cartoon, Polly Pocket, they had no doubt that she wanted her big sister here to watch it with her. They looked at each other as if they could cry on the spot. Larry took a deep breath to hold it all in and Laurent watched his love walk over to sit next to her on the couch. Emma instantly snuggled into him and he stood back to watch Larry nurture her as he watched the cartoon with her. They had been making lunch together when they both got the internal instinct to check on her and Laurent was unable to watch the scene, though sweet and endearing, because it only made his heart break for their little girl more. It isn't fair that Emma has to live without her too and while he was feeling down he was also starting to feel angry so he went back to cooking to keep himself from having a breakdown...

It's currently early morning and mostly everyone is asleep. The only person awake is Emma who's usually still sleeping when her papas get up but this morning she's up before them and she slips out of bed to make her way to their bedroom. Their door is cracked so she quietly pushes it open and her eyes focus on the bed. They both appear to be asleep but she sees Laurent move so she assumes he's waking up and goes over to his side of the bed. She gently nudges him as she softly says, "papa"? He doesn't hear her the first time so she tries again. Suddenly his eyes open and he becomes instantly alert when he sees her. Emma rarely comes in their room to wake either of them up so he knows something must be wrong...

Laurent: "What is it bebe", he asks softly. 

Emma: "I don't feel well papa". 

Laurent: "I'm sorry my love. Is it your tummy"?