Chapter Eighteen: Backfire

AUTHOR'S POV    

Larry's weakened body rests under the crisp but thinning sheet. There's an undertone of bleach as if the floors had just been cleaned a short while ago. He woke up seconds ago though his eyes are still closed as he's too fragile to move any part of his body. His breathing matches the soft, steady beeping of the machines that surround the bed...the only indication of his heartbeat. His existence. He realizes that he's in a hospital and at first he thinks he's dreaming since he doesn't recall what happened prior to. His curiosity of the environment prompts him to slowly pry his eyes open where he meets a dismal view of the magnolia colored room. It's void of beauty as its walls are simply cream. There's no decoration other than a thick white curtain that adorns the single window. His mind is blank at the moment but he's trying hard to recall what happened to end up in here. What little strength he does have he looks down at his arm and sees a needle that has been meticulously attached to him. Surely someone is in close proximity to the room that can explain what he isn't remembering so in an even weaker voice he calls out, "hello"? He's expecting to see a doctor or perhaps a nurse walk through the door. Instead, his eyes meet detective Brunet who's been waiting for him to come to. Larry may have been really disoriented...but when he sees the detective his eyes widen a bit as his memory is coming back to him. Now the detective is directly next to the bed and looking down at him with the softest expression...

Brunet: "How do you feel Mr. Bourgeois"?  

Larry: "I feel weak and my head hurts. What happened to me"?

There's instant hesitancy because to explain what happened and why he's here he will have to explain what happened in court. He's also spoken to Larry's doctor and learned that his body has been through quite an ordeal so to be reminded that the charges against his husband weren't dropped and that he has to remain in that cell for another month would surely break his heart all the more. But, he can't exactly keep it from him or avoid answering questions altogether so he proceeds in the most delicate way...

Brunet: "I spoke to your doctor and he ran some tests. He stated that you're undernourished as of lately and he suspects you haven't slept much so when you heard the ruling in court your body was just too weak to handle it". 

The moment Larry heard the words 'ruling in court' he immediately remembers it all and he can even hear the judge repeating the words that split his heart in two. His face morphs into the most devastated expression then he begins to cry and through those tears his raspy voice cries...  

Larry: "My love isn't coming home". 

Brunet: *soft sigh* "I'm so sorry Mr. Bourgeois". 

Larry: "He saw me pass out and tried to get to me, right"?

*brief pause*

Brunet: "Yes he did", he replies softly. 

Larry: "I knew it and he's so scared". *pause* "Detective, I need you to call someone who can tell him I'm oki". 

Brunet: "I can do that for you. I'll step outside and call one of my officers who's on duty right now to tell him. I'll also make sure he knows that I'm with you and I will see to it that you get home safely".  

Larry: "Thank you so much and will you please tell him that I love him"? 

Brunet: "You're welcome and of course I will".

Larry's soft face is a heart string puller and after he gently nods the detective steps outside while Larry sinks his head deeper into the pillow. Tears are sliding down his temples as he thinks about how frightened his love must have been when he saw him pass out. He can't recall every aspect of the hearing because of the state of his health right now so he wonders what exactly was said for the judge to decide that he will stay in jail instead of releasing him...and that's exactly what he will ask detective Brunet when he comes back in...