Chapter Twenty-Five: Impulse

Warning: The latter part of this chapter is disturbing so please proceed with caution. 

AUTHOR'S POV  

Larry, Laurent and mama have been huddled together embracing one another as Laurent just shared that the murderer has been captured. The tears they've shed have been relief but also joy as it's been so long that they've waited for this but they never gave up and with detective Brunet working as hard as he has they knew it was bound to happen. At times they would pull away from the tight group hug and as they've smiled through their tears they've also wiped away tears from one another. For minutes they weren't able to say anything because of the jubilation they feel but when they finally could speak they all shared the same sentiment of gratitude. Night after night Larry and Laurent have repeated countless prayers and held onto each other for comfort as well as reassurance when the case appeared bleak at times. Now they can rejoice, and as detective Brunet informed Laurent, it's only a matter of the sentencing court date. With the mountain of evidence against him it would shock the world if he opted for a trial so they're just as confident as Brunet that he will plead guilty. Laurent then suggests that they watch the news to see if this is being broadcast to the community as he has a strong feeling that it is. They take to the couch and he's like lightning flipping to the news channel. For a few moments it's a typical news segment where the anchor is going through different reports but once they see the words 'breaking news' flash across the screen they all know what it is. The next second they hear the news anchor...

Anchor: "We have just received word that an arrest has been made in the kidnapping and murder of Kaylee Bourgeois. We will now join the police department in live coverage of a press conference where Detective Brunet has more information". 

The familiarity of the press conference scene grabs their attention all the more, from the eager reporters to bright flashes of the cameras. Then their focus shifts to the detective...

Brunet: "Thank you all for coming. We have arrested prime suspect, Julian Ramos, for the murder case. He was captured today while attempting to flee with a hostage who he abducted in a shopping center but we are pleased to report that though she's distraught from the terrifying ordeal she is safe and without question she will testify against the suspect at the trial for those charges. At this time I'll take questions". 

Reporter: "Detective, are you sure the police department has captured the correct suspect this time for the kidnapping and murder case"? 

Brunet: "Yes, we are confident that he's the culprit as there is ample DNA evidence and although we wouldn't need it due to the overwhelming evidence, we also have a confession from him".

Reporter: "Detective, do you think the prosecution will seek the death penalty"?

Brunet: "I'm not sure about that, but I'm certainly not opposed to it. If not the death penalty then life without parole will be the next best punishment". 

Reporter: "Has the police department established a motive for the crime"?

Brunet: "We have not but there will be additional questioning soon in which a motive in this case will more than likely be revealed". 

Reporter: "Detective, the police department previously arrested Laurent Bourgeois. Has he been made aware of the arrest"?

Brunet: "Yes, my first phone call was placed to Mr. Bourgeois to give him the news".

Same reporter: "Is the police department at all concerned that Mr. Bourgeois will seek a lawsuit due to his unjust arrest for this crime"?