Chapter Thirty: Consequence

AUTHOR'S POV 

There are at least a dozen cameras flashing. Several camcorders are rolling as they capture the expressions upon Larry and Laurent's face as it's only been moments since they exited the courtroom after the hearing the judge's sentence of their daughter's killer. When the judge announced two consecutive life terms they covered their mouths with their hands as the moment was so surreal. This is what they've been waiting for and the wait was filled with agony because of the unknown. Ramos escaped imprisonment for far too long so to hear the judge proclaim that he won't have any chance of parole essentially sealed his fate and he will never be free again. He will die in prison and as far as Larry and Laurent, even detective Brunet are concerned it can be a slow and torturous death. After the torment he put Kaylee through and the manner in which he took her life he deserves to feel that same torment. It's going on two minutes that they haven't been able to respond to the influx of questions from the press. The main question being how they feel about the sentencing. There are so many words to describe how they feel about it running through their mind from shock to utter relief that it's finally over...but most of all unspeakable jubilation. The ruckus from the press and their continuous questions settle down when they realize that it will take Kaylee's loving parents a few moments to gather their thoughts in order to respond to them so they exercise patience in this instance as they surely can imagine what it must feel like to lose someone so dear to them then attempt to verbalize how they feel about such a verdict and anything else they wish to say as this is their time. They're seen taking in breaths and a moment of silence falls before it appears that Laurent will be the one to speak up...

~meanwhile~

Back at home mama is in the kitchen doing some meal prep for the next few days. She's been tirelessly chopping vegetables and marinating protein for the variety of meals she will prepare for her wonderful family when she suddenly hears Emma yelling, "grandmere! grandmere"! Naturally she fears that something is wrong with her little Emma as she's been affectionately calling her since she was born so she drops the knife on the cutting board then hurriedly darts out of the kitchen and into the living room. She promptly asks, "what is it sweetie"? Emma is actually smiling then points to the TV as she excitedly replies, "papas"! Mama turns her head towards the screen and sure enough there are her beautiful boys with a "breaking news" headline is flashing across the top of the broadcast. She sits on the couch and Emma steps over to be placed on her lap. Mama sees the emotions in them and she feels a knot in her stomach because their expressions tell her that court didn't go so well. Perhaps Ramos didn't get the punishment he deserved and her heart begins to hurt. But, she's in for a very uplifting surprise...

Larry and Laurent stand at the top of the staircase that lead into the large courthouse. Before Laurent speaks he can't help but notice the elements of this day. It hadn't been a gloomy day. On the contrary, it's been a very pleasant day complete with sunshine and a sporadic light breeze. The sky is blue and there aren't too many clouds in the sky so it gave way to the sunshine to push through. Now it seems as though the sun is shining brighter...as bright as Kaylee's smile that they will always remember and will keep in their hearts forever, especially on those days where they're missing her the most. Surely this much brighter sun is a sign from her telling them to not be sad because she's resting peacefully now and will always be with them. All they have to do is look up when some days just seem too hard. Laurent feels comfort in that thought so he takes in another breath then his soft, shaky voice begins to speak... 

Laurent: "This sentence is what we've been hoping for". *pause* "My husband and I want the judge to know that we're very thankful that he put Ramos exactly where he deserves to be. Kaylee is no longer with us because he took her life so we're happy that he no longer has the freedom to live his. We miss her everyday and if she were still here she would be bringing joy to us like she did everyday we had with her so...."