Chapter Thirty-One: Retribution

AUTHOR'S POV 

It's a new morning, and Laurent isn't awakened by the sunlight beaming through the window though the heat does provide a gentle warmth upon his face. He hears the sweet sound of their baby boy cooing and he smiles through closed eyes. He begins to flutter them open and once he has full focus he sees that his love isn't next to him. The highlight of every morning for Laurent is waking up to that face. That's one of the things he missed the most during his time away...gazing at that peaceful and beautiful face then waiting patiently for him to wake up but this morning little Ayden was awake first so being the wonderful papa he is Larry quietly got out of bed to go to him. Laurent is envisioning his love sitting in the chair and rocking him...keeping him at ease. The cooing begins to die down so Ayden is probably feeding himself with his bottle now as Larry continues to rock him until everyone is awake and breakfast is started. The overall quietness of the household is soothing though Laurent hasn't forgotten where he has to be in a few hours. He's meeting with the dean and the president of the university. He's met and conversed with the president previously and he imagines that if their intention is to give him his teaching position back an apology will be issued and he, too, wants to be present to express his apology as well. As the president he also has to approve of him coming back. Laurent loves the subject of math and he loves teaching so he'll accept being welcomed back in a heartbeat...but he isn't as anxious about that as he is about his special request to the school and it's difficult to predict what the answer could be. But, he will remain hopeful that it will come to fruition as this would mean everything to this family. For now he decides that he will cook breakfast for everyone so he heads to the bathroom to freshen up then begins the walk down the hallway but stops at Ayden's room first. The sight is what he expected. Ayden is on Larry's lap with the back of his head resting against him, his head is tilted as he grasps his bottle with both hands. The rocking chair is smoothly moving back and forth while Larry holds him firmly but gently. Laurent's heart flutters when he sees his love drop a soft kiss to the top of Ayden's head. Seconds later Laurent decides to greet him but does so very softly as to not startle him. Larry hears that sweet voice saying, "good morning" so he raises his head to give him a small but still heart dropping smile and greets him with an even sweeter, "good morning". Ayden hears the interaction between them and looks in the direction the other familiar voice is coming from. He sees Laurent and practically drops his bottle as he excitedly talks to him in baby gibberish. Laurent's heart drops at such an adorable reaction but it also gives him a light chuckle and he begins walking over. Ayden's arms are already raised to be picked up. Once Laurent is holding him he gives him a kiss on the cheek and merely smiles at him as Ayden continues the happy gibberish. Larry is looking up at them and still has that beautifully warm smile on his face as he always loves to see Laurent with any of their children who have always been crazy about him. Laurent then gets a look at his love and while he's smiling his eyes seem to be heavy as if he didn't sleep well...

Laurent: "You look tired my love".

Larry: "I am", he replies softly. 

Laurent: "What's wrong bebe. Why didn't you sleep"?

Larry: "I spent most of the night watching you sleep". 

Laurent becomes weak at Larry's endearing words and gazes at him with the softest look on his face. He isn't even sure what to say next...but then his love begins explaining why...

Larry: "I was thinking about you going to the university today to talk for your job that you should have never lost. I just looked at your face and was thinking for everything that you've been through". *pause* "It hurt so much to see you go through all of that. You are the best papa and if people really knew you they would know that you would never hurt your children. Then I started to think for the times I saw you and Kaylee together. How you would play with her and make her laugh. Her smile was always so big when she was with you. Your family means the most to you and you would never hurt us. You would never hurt them and because of that stupid detective you've been fighting to get your life back".