Chapter 21

Suddenly, my adrenaline kicked in. After hastily whipping the steering wheel to the right, I released all tension to accept my fate. I refused to open my eyes until the car had come to a complete stop. In the end, I slammed smack-dab into the side of a vehicle that was parallel parked on the main street. It wasn't necessary to exit the Regal to determine that the damage was extensive on both cars.

The hit vehicle was maroon in color and appeared to be new and expensive. Panic set in, once I thought about how much it would cost to fix the considerable damage. Whatever the cost, I just didn't have it. More importantly, I struggled with the thought of catching a DUI and blemishing my currently untarnished record.

"I'm not putting myself through college right now just to throw everything away before graduation," I concluded.

After surveying the location to see if there were any witnesses, I noted that the cars previously passing through the intersection never stopped. The area was practically a ghost town now since everyone knew about the blizzard. Because of this, I decided to put the car in reverse and continued on through the green light as if nothing had ever happened. Jeremy was going to kill me!

"Lord, please forgive me," I prayed as tears filled my eyes. "You KNOW I'm not this type of person, God. I don't have any money to fix that car, but please Lord, let that person have full coverage insurance and a forgiving heart."

I reluctantly pulled up to the address a short time after and observed Jeremy 20 feet away talking with four or five of his boys. Initially, he hadn't noticed my arrival. My guess is perhaps due to the blinding snowfall or something. 

As I began parallel parking, I distinctly heard him yell, "WHAT THE F**K!" 

His boys didn't help the situation either. One by one, they ran up to the front of the car, and rang out in a chorus of various phrases like, "DAMN" and "OH S**T." I couldn't even finish parking and was terrified to get out!

"WHAT DID YOU DO TO MY CAR!" He shrieked as he walked over to the driver-driver-side door and aggressively pulled me out.

"STOP! I responded fighting back. "LET GO OF ME!" — but, he didn't.

Instead, in front of all his friends, he threw me down into a pile of snow and planted my face into it several times. They all howled with laughter.

"YOU'RE PAYING TO GET MY S **T FIXED! MAN, I SWEAR TO GOD..." He demanded with his finger pointed in my face.

"NO THE HELL I'M NOT! ALL OF THIS IS YOUR FAULT! YOU SHOULD'VE NEVER LEFT ME DRUNK AND STRANDED! NOW, GET THE F**K OFF ME!"

"Damn, girl! What did you hit? A brick wall?" His friend chimed in.

"Nah, stay out of it, bro!" Jeremy said firmly. Despite the fact that it was completely dark outside, he intensely began looking me over for any signs of injuries, then dusted the remaining snow out of my hair. "Now that we got that out the way, are you good baby?"

"Yeah, I guess! I mean, I'm sorry about your car and all... it's not like it was intentional! I actually slid on some black ice and almost died," I voiced, with a sad and pitiful demeanor.

Feeling guilty about the day's happenings, Jeremy wrapped things up with his friends and we headed back to my place. He vowed to never take off as he had done and stressed the fact that I would never be allowed to drive his car again. Him saying that made no difference to me one way or the other-- I still refused to pay for any damages.

On the way home, Tionna called to say she and Abiana would be there in an hour. She also let us know that she would be stopping somewhere to pick up dinner first. This meant that Leah was still the only person there, along with the baby. 

It felt so good to finally change out of my wet street clothes and just relax in a quiet house. While I was in the shower, Jeremy made himself useful and put Jamal to sleep for the night. It wasn't until after I walked into the room, that I discovered his ulterior motive. He had placed the baby in the other room and reminded me about the "energy" that I was supposed to have kept. With a playful smile, he released the towel that was wrapped around my body and hit the light switch...