Chapter 3

My Saturday was starting out a bit slow, so I needed a little somethin' somethin' to lift my spirits. After trying everything to find a trustworthy babysitter, none of my go-to people were able. I wanted finally enjoy a kid-free weekend because, on some level, I felt that a break was much deserved. I suppose I understand why no one was "available" though. The Puerto Rican Independence Festival was kicking off that day, and it was one of the most popular celebrations in Chicago's Humboldt Park neighborhood. Therefore, everyone already had plans to be in attendance.

Plan 'B' was now in full effect! I gathered the baby's necessities and left for my Granny, Mrs. Ada's house, who lived on Francisco Street. My Grandmother's house was the "spot!" You know, the place where family members and friends link up for all occasions. The fact that she lived within walking distance of the event was also a bonus.

It was about 12 pm when I actually made it there, just in time for a freshly cooked meal. The house was full of people (as always), so I made my way to the kitchen to grab a plate before all the food disappeared. As I walked into the kitchen, being the typical Mississippi native she was, Mrs. Ada was preoccupied with frying up some hot water cornbread.

"Hey, Grandma! What are you in here cookin', turkey titties?" I teased.

"Don't play with me okay!" She threatened as she turned and pointed a fork in my direction. She gave me a stare like she wanted to slap the s**t out of me. With a 5'2 frame and weighing about 90 pounds at best, my grandmother was hardly threatening to someone like me, who was 5'8 and 150 pounds. Nevertheless, one thing about Mrs. Ada was the fact she would surely slap anybody and she didn't play about her food.

Now, when it came to meals, there was never a surprise regarding what she cooked. Soul food was her specialty and she never deviated from that— ever. Despite her continued threats, I kept talking my s**t and dodging her swings.

"You know I'm just playing," I laughed as I began uncovering pots and opened the oven door. "unh unh, grandma! Where's my macaroni n' cheese?"

Before she could respond, there was a loud knock on the back door. I opened it and was surprised to see my older cousin who I hadn't seen since I was about thirteen or fourteen. He was 27 years old and fresh out the penitentiary. After doing a 5-year bid, it was no surprise that "Francisco" was his first stop. By the look on his face, he was both surprised and wondering who the hell I was answering his grandmother's door. Clearly, he didn't recognize me, so I thought I would jog his memory.

"Derron! Man, its been a minute, so good to see you!" I exclaimed with a hug. The moment was less awkward, so he loosened up a bit.

"Yeah baby, its good to be seen." He reciprocated in a smooth and flirtatious manner. "How you doin' beautiful."

A roar of laughter erupted behind me as a crowd of my cousins also made their way into the kitchen. Apparently, they already knew he was coming and greeted him like the high ranking gang boss he was.

"You know I'm your cousin right," I responded with disgust.

"You a nasty mother f****r," my grandmother chimed in with a laugh.

"Yeah, I don't do that kissing cousins bulls**t!" I added. Everybody continued to find humor in the exchange.

"My fault cuz, you were much younger the last time I saw you." Derron reasoned. "I mean really, how long has it been? Time has certainly been good to you. If you weren't my cousin we'd be having a different conversation, but I'm just gonna leave it at that."

"Yeah, leave it there and don't never say no s**t like that again," another cousin interjected in.

We moved the conversation to the dining room area which was much cooler. As time went on, more and more people showed up to visit Derron and we began 'pre-gaming' for the next phase of events. By 4 pm we were ready to walk over to the festival and enjoy the rest of the evening. Lil' Jamal hadn't given me any trouble all day, so I was hoping he would continue to hang in there a little while longer. I decided to bring my fifteen-year-old cousin Leah along to help push the stroller because I needed to be seen! In my eyes, the festival was more than just an event, it became more of a mission...