Chapter 44

Oh, so NOW you wanna be scared?" Jeremy expressed callously, as he glanced in my direction. "It's too late for all that, baby. You should've thought about it before you decided to be a loose ass b***h... f***in slut...a goddamn whore..."

"I GET IT ALREADY..." I interjected before he cut me off.

"SHUT UP! JUST SHUT THE F**K UP!" He screamed placing the tip of his index finger to my temple. "MATTER FACT, CLOSE YOUR F***IN MOUTH AND DON'T LET ONE MORE TEAR FALL! NOT ONE MORE! TRY ME IF YOU WANT TO!"

I listened in terror, while he cursed me bitterly and repeatedly punched the steering wheel. In my mind, I foresaw him doing the very same thing to me next. It was only a matter of time. Not knowing what to do, I surveyed the area again for any clues as to where we were at this point. More than anything, I was desperately hoping to spot a police vehicle or something to help aid in my escape. Hell, it came to a point where jumping out of the car was my most appealing option.

To my disappointment, there were no squad cars in the vicinity. More distressing, Jeremy began speeding once again, this time on the main road. What also made things horrifically worse this go-round was the fact that he was rabidly blowing past every intersection whether it was a green light or not. Several times we almost got into an accident.

"JEREMY, PLEASE STOP THIS!" I sobbed, covering my face. I refused to look again. All I  heard was the trumpeting of cars honking all around us. He sped up even more.

"NOPE! AT FIRST, I WAS JUST GONNA KILL YOU, BUT NOW WE'RE BOTH 'BOUT TO DIE! NO ONE ELSE CAN HAVE YOU AND I REFUSE TO LIVE WITHOUT YOU!"

He drove a few minutes more before slamming on the brakes, causing my hands to fly forward and hit the dashboard. After making a sharp left turn into a wooded area, my head hit the side of the passenger window thrusting me into an absolute daze. The last thing I remember hearing were the screeching brakes of the blue Malibu grinding to a complete halt.

With one hand nursing the right side of my head, I turned left to look in Jeremy's direction. His face was fully drenched with sweat and I noticed him undoing his seatbelt. The wild and untamed demeanor he possessed caused me to hurriedly unhook my own. After a quick attempt to reach for the door, nothing in the world prevented what came next, in the form of what seemed like a thousand blows to my entire body. I began swinging back and somehow fought my way from the front seat to the back.

The few seconds it took Jeremy to maneuver his large body into the backseat spared me enough time to open the rear driver-side door. I managed to get one foot out, but before completing the escape, he grabbed ahold of my hair which was now being ripped from my scalp. After gaining his leverage, he pulled me back inside, but not before slamming the car door on my ankle.

"OWWWWWWWW! STOP!" I SCREAMED, "LET ME GO!"

"NUH UNH, B***H! WHERE YOU GOIN'?"

"JEREMY! STOOOOPPPP! HOW CAN YOU DO THIS WHEN I'M PREGNANT WITH YOUR BABY!"

"YOU ALREADY TRIED TO KILL MY BABY YOURSELF, SO WHAT'S THE DIFFERENCE?"

After fully pulling me into the back seat, he then pushed me onto my back. Prior to securing this position, I noticed, in plain view a bundle of tangled rope, duct tape and a knife amongst other things loosely gathered on the floor. In my heart of hearts, I knew he must've been planning to kill me for some time now.

Without warning, Jeremy placed both hands fixedly around my neck, squeezing as tight as he possibly could. The strength of this force was breathtakingly incredible-- literally and figuratively. As I ineffectively continued to struggle to get him off of me, his sweat sporadically dripped onto my face. He was hellishly twisted with rage. 

The audible sound a body makes when gasping for air is both traumatic and unforgettable. To my benefit at the time, however, the body is also miraculously designed in such a way, that this type of suffering occurs without an ounce pain. The nearer I drew to death, the more fear began to dissipate and the most serene feeling of warmth and peace overcame my soul.

"God, what about my son?" I literally prayed in my mind. "How would his life be without a mother? I don't want that for him..."

Beautiful, loving images of Jamal and I together, soundlessly reeled through the theater of my mind. I also saw moments with various family members and even myself playing as a child. The clips suddenly began to become obscure and fade in and out to an unknown source of blackness. Before the darkness completely encapsulated my vision, my eyes slowly rolled to meet with Jeremy's. The sight of his sinister and empty eyes let me know that I was dealing with an unspeakably nefarious being...one that I would not grasp the contentment of ever reaching...