Trapped

3rd Pov :

They were hanging behind the school, talking and play fighting, like the little hooligans they were. Kelsey was leaning against the concrete wall, watching her brother and Carter getting on each other's nerves. She wasn't sure how it started, this heated argument between them, something along the lines of Carter thinking Brody was stupid for failing the math quiz today. Suprisingly, she wasn't really paying attention like she usually does to these kind of things. She was staring into space, completely ignoring all the yells between her brother and Carter at this point.

They would need to head home soon. It was getting dark, the sunset already went by, no more orange and yellow was to been on the sky, just blue that was slowly but surely turning darker by the minute. Her parents never seemed comfortable for them to be outside once it has gotten dark, for many reasons , they said but didn't go in further explanation when she asked them about it. However, she could just about guess why, once night falls, everything that seems happy and gleeful during the day turns eerie and equivalent to some monster from a horror movie. Therefore, she wanted to go home before it got too late, at the same time, her friends didn't seem concerned about this.

"Do...do you think we should go home?" Kelsey asked, looking in the same direction the sunset was only ten minutes ago. She couldn't tell for sure, but she could feel that they stopped moving. The yelps and shouts from the previous fight stopped as well. She could guess there were eyes trained on her.

"Home? Already?" Katy questioned and looked around, appearing to be oblivious to the darkness threatening to close around them "Our parents said we could stay out here longer today. You know, being Friday and all."

"I know but..." Kelsey didn't finish that sentence and she didn't have to for her brother to understand the situation. He wasn't too keen on nightime either, mainly because of his nightmares of course (that seemed to have become more consistent recently) but he wanted to stay out here longer just like everyone else.

"She's scared you guys." Carter sneered before Brody could make put a word, probably trying to mock her but Kelsey didn't falter.

She stayed still for a few moments, a very short amount of time, before she started speaking "Yeah, I'm scared. If you aren't scared of being alone at night, ready for any serial killer or pedophile to get you, then I should be scared of you too."

"Are you ok?" Gray cautioned. Kelsey was talking in a calm voice. Way too calm. She was usually excited and jumpy, today she looked tired and weary.

"Yeah, I just feel like something bad is going to happen." She eventually turned her head around and gave them a small smile "Sorry I'm acting like a misery by the way. Not a lot of things went that well today."

Brody knew that way to well. Their father got hurt when he went on investigating that murder case, just outside of the South Park border. He got shot. They had been pulled out of school earlier today to visit him in the hospital but they didn't. They weren't allowed in his room. Leo told them that he was going to be fine, that he would be home tomorrow and that they shouldn't worry about it. On the other hand, while he was reassuring them, the doctors were screaming frantically about some kind of critical condition and that a life was at risk or some shit. They've been rushed out of the hospital by then, back to school for some reason and their other dad back at home, his day free from incompetent toddlers and babies. Kelsey knew she was over reacting, after all, her own father told her that Kenny was going to be alright. Yet, she still was worried, she heard his cries of pain while being there and she just wanted to go in there and give him a hug but she wouldn't be able too.

Because she's just a child.

"Did your dad get shot and die or something?" Carter said bluntly, not really trying to hide between sympathy and pity. Kelsey couldn't decide whether she should appreciate it or scream curses at him for saying such a horrible thing.