3. The Breakup Bar

Meet the main character
Kate Williams & Jack Harris.

Or you may imagine them as you please 😉

--------------------------------------------------------

I don't know how long I walked down the busy sidewalk of the city. I don't know where my foot bring me, and I probably didn't pay much attention to where I'm going. I come across a big bar by the sidewalk. The bar is busy and crowded. I seldom go to bar afraid to spend some money which I  can use it for a better cause. But tonight I want to let lose, at least by a few drinks I can forget what happened an  hour ago.

One or two drinks not gonna hurt, right?

I go straight to the bar and order the strongest liquor. The bartender raised his brows but didn't say anything when he see my state. I probably look like a train wreck waiting to collapse. I shot him a bitter smile when he slide my glass in front of me.

"Babe, this weekend I have to go out of town for a business trip, I'm sorry I can't spend it with you"

"Babe, sorry I still can't get out of this place, I know it's your birthday and I'm away. I really feel bad but this project is important, I'll make it up to you when I'm back"

"Babe, I know I promised you to accompany your mother attending treatment, but..."

I shake my head to bring me back from my daze state. Nicholas words and his broken promises has been keep playing in my head since I bumped into him earlier.

I hate the feeling he left me, I hate myself for being so weak, It bring fresh tears down my cheeks. I keep telling myself that i am strong, I can handle it.

Right, I can handle it if there's my close ones nearby. But why I can't keep my strong self when I'm alone, when no ones watching.

Get a grib of yourself Kate.

I scolded myself internally. I have to find more jobs to keep me busy.

"What's a beautiful woman like you doing all alone and crying here?" A thick voice come from behind me, I turn to come face to face with a middle aged drunk man, he's already standing too close for my liking.

He snake an arm around my waist and slide on an empty bar stool beside me. I tried to pull myself away from him, but he only tighten his grip on my waist.

"A beautiful woman like you can not be left alone, don't worry I'll give you company" he said leaning closer to me, his breath smell like puke. It made me want to puke myself.

"Let go of me!" I snapped, still trying to get free from his hold. He Snickers seeing my futile attempt to move away from him. I just had a few drinks, but my head already spinning, and this man is scared me.

"Stay still woman—" the man's words cutted short when a balled fist flying straight to his face, followed by a cracking noise loud enough for me to hear despite the loud music in the background. The drunken man stumbled to the ground, bring me down along with him.

A hand appear in my line of view, I looked up to be meet with the earlier bartender. I take his hand and thanked him for the rescue.