10: Lost.

I have been afraid
of losing the people I love,
I wonder if there's anyone out there
Afraid of losing me?.

Anonymous.

_____________________________________

Chapter 10:

Jackson's POV:

My eyes landed on a thin and pale body lying on the hospital bed with several wires on her body connected to various machine beside her bed.

Is this woman Kate's mother?

My body stiffened slightly at the thought and seeing the evidence of the woman on the bed in front of me suffering from such a horrible fate was enough to broke my heart. I know how it feels to lost a mother.

After all, I don't have mine with me.

I squeeze Kate's hand to let her know that she's not alone. Just few hours ago I witnessed the most beautiful sounds of her laughter that made me soar in happiness for the first time after a long time, now those laughter changed into a soft sobs, that somehow I desperately wanted her to stop.

But I was as helpless as her, right now.

Kate took her mother hand and whispering in her ear. A moment later she's slowly open her eyes an smiling bitterly at her. I just stood there behind her and keep my gaze to the woman on the bed. She has similar eyes as Kate, deep ocean blue. She also has the same smile as her.

"Is ... Is he your boyfriend?"

I froze. Her voice was low, almost inaudible but due to the silence of the room with occasional beeping from the machine I can catch the voice clearly. I feel Kate's body stiffened beside me. She turned to me and sending an apologetic smile.

How come she can not distinguished between me and her boyfriend?.

However Before Kate had the chance to open her mouth, her mother beat her again by saying:

"Son... I am so happy to have a chance to meet you-"

What?

"Mom-" Kate cutting her mother to explain but I squeeze her hand to stop her from continuing her speech. She turns to me, and I shake my head to answer her unspoken question.

"I now relief that my baby is in a good hand, I can see it you are a good person, please take care of her" she said in very low voice.

"I promise ma'am, you have my words" I nodded my head to her, putting all efforts to smile at her. It's not that I forced myself to smile, but it's hard to put straight face and smile like nothing happened when you're in front of weak sick people.

"Mom, I don't need anyone when I have you to look after me" Kate said slowly, from her voice, I can tell she's trying her best not to break down in front of her mother.

"You are the most beautiful daughter any mother could ask for, you are everything to me baby. I love you and I'm sorry I couldn't be there when you get marriage, I wish I could." Her mother said softly, there's tears slipped away from her eyes as she watches her daughter with adoration, love and affection through her tired eyes.