Ch. 21 - "You were in love."

The therapist placed his notepad on the desk, and sighed. It had been the fifteenth week in a row that Jonah came to his office, bawling his eyes and speaking about Kylan. Oftentimes, he would stressfully place his face between his folded arms and hide himself from his therapist worried gaze.

"I used to love coming home," he cried, "and I would sometimes leave early from work just to see how I would find him next."

The therapist nodded his head, "You were in love."

"He would sometimes be sitting in the living room with a bucket of ice cream, or other times he would be cooking something random when I got back and we would eat together."

"He was a huge part in your life."

Jonah nodded his head, "I don't think I can let that go, I think about him everyday."

"And that's part of moving forward as well," his therapist smiled apologetically, "it seems like it's harder everyday, but you'll get through it. And just because you are attempting to move forward, does not mean you should forget about him. You'll learn to cherish the moments you had with him, and some day soon, if it's meant to be, you'll find your paths cross again."

He exited the therapist office with the same gloomy feeling in the pits of his stomach. It had been about four months since he last spoke to Kylan, or had any sort of connection with him. However, he would often call Ella just to ask how he was doing, without knowing that Kylan would be beside Ella to hear Jonah's voice.

"How is he today?" Jonah would ask.

Ella would roll her eyes, "He's fine. Can't you just go about your day? It's been like months since you broke up."

"How did I know you'd still be this useless?"

And most of the time, she would hang up.

However, she never called him, which was part of the reason Jonah found it odd when she did that day. He had returned to his home, and was standing at the door when his phone began blaring. Since it was merely Ella, he placed the phone back into his pocket and relaxed on the couch.

She called again, he ignored it. When she called a third time, he finally decided to respond, and he knew there must be something awful since Ella never called.

When he answered, her cries caused his heart to immediately clench, and he jumped from the couch, "What's going on?"

"Kylan relapsed again."