Sneak Peak: Ch.3 of Book 3

"Public intoxication, we kept him for the night," the officer explained while Jacob's handcuff were being removed. "He isn't fined, I just wanted to make sure he was alright for the night."

"Putting me in jail for a night isn't making sure I'm—"

"Shut up," Jollan spat, narrowing his eyes before facing the officer again. "Thank you, it won't happen again."

"We always hear that," he laughed before turning away, returning behind the desk.

The moment they were out of the station, Jacob wrapped his jacket around his shoulders and faced Jollan, "You didn't have to come."

"You knew I would," Jollan tilted his head, eyeing him as he zipped his jacket. "I always will." He stared towards the concrete of the sidewalk, eyeing each crack and curve of the ground and trying to resist the emotions being drawn out from the memories of Jacob's furious face while he admitted to never considering them his family. It may have been true, that it was a saying out of anger, but that doesn't mean it hurt any less.

Before his mind could consume him, he felt fingers along his jaw before Jacob's palm slowly lifted his chin, forcing their gazes to meet. He brushed aside Jollan's hair falling in front of his face, "I must've really upset you if you went four days without talking to me."

"You went four days without talking to me."

Jacob shook his head, "No, you always call or text me." He scratched the side of his face, "The last time we went that long without talking was when I was in juvie and it's because we had a lockdown for that long." He noticed the corner of Jacob's eyebrow twitch and realized that it had upset him, not receiving any contact for four days.

Jollan looked elsewhere, "Are we done here?" He wasn't going to give him this satisfaction of always having someone around, knowing someone would be there to carry him when he had extra weight he could no longer withstand.

When Jacob heard that, he exhaled a long sigh. "Of course I consider you family, Jollan."

"You wouldn't have said that if you didn't."

"I was mad, that's all."

"You said you hated me."

"I missed you during those four days, you really think I could hate you?"

"I nag you every time, is that tr—"

"Stop, alright?" Jacob squeezed his palms on his shoulders, noticing that Jollan's muscles all released their locks and tightness, allowing Jollan to take a deep breath. They always argued, that was the basis of their friendship. However, it was never as bad as it had gotten, and he was worried that the next time, they would be finished for good. Jacob smirked, "Whatever you're thinking, no. You are family. We fight all the time, it's normal."

"We don't usually fight like that, Jacob—"

"What the hell do you want to hear from me Jollan?"

"That you're not planning on leaving? Because that's what it looks like." Jacob sighed, scratching the back of his neck before glancing elsewhere and avoiding Jollan's gaze for a few seconds. Instantly, Jollan knew he had been right. The colours of his face drained, "You're...leav..."

"Jo, stop." When Jollan swirled on his heels and began storming to his car in disbelief, Jacob jogged after him, "It's not what it looks like."

"You're moving away without even telling me; you really don't consider us family—"

"Stop it, come on," he suddenly wrapped an arm around Jollan's shoulders and squeezed him, Jollan's back tightly against his chest. He then leaned his face forward, his chin on top of Jacob's head as he held him close, both facing the tanned Toyota he always felt relieved when it appeared. "I was going to tell you eventually."