Chapter 18 (Gerard's POV)

I found myself humored by the conversation Ray and Frank were having. It's good to see them obviously enjoying themselves. I really wish I could join them, honestly. Even though I'm known by some to be socially awkward, I wouldn't mind talking to Ray and Frank. Ray's idea of us all hanging out when Ray beats his cancer and when I wake up out of this stupid coma sounds like a good idea. I can see myself easily getting along with the both of them, especially Frank.
           Suddenly, I didn't feel right. A familiar feeling is coming back to me, one I've endured before here. I can feel my pulse heightening. I know this because the machine that monitors that is beeping at a faster pace. I began to perspire too, with sweat running down my forehead. Frank took notice of this and looked panicked, frantically looking back and forth from me, to the machine, and then back to me. I suddenly felt an urge inside of me, one that I can't quite put my finger on. What the hell is it? I just wanna scream and jump out of this hospital bed. Maybe that's what it is. Maybe, just maybe, my body is ready to finally wake up. Oh my god…it’s happening again! This time I gotta get it right. I don’t know exactly what I need to do, but I'm willing to do whatever it is, anything to wake me up finally.
           “Gerard? Are you alright? Gerard!” Frank nearly yelled, springing into action. He jumped up from his seat and ran out of the room. As he did, I could feel a high level of energy rise within me. It's almost like at any minute, I can open my eyes and spring out of this bed. Frank soon returned with Brendon, as well as a group of other nurses. Brendon looked absolutely panicked just as much as Frank. Hell, even Ray looks deeply concerned.
           “He's at it again, guys,” Brendon said to the other nurses as he examined me. As the nurses worked at my body, I could feel more and more tension build up within me. I need to wake up, damn it! I just have to! I yelled at myself over and over again to open my eyes. I can feel them twitching as they stayed shut, which I really think got a spook into Brendon and the others. I looked over at Frank, who stood in the corner of the room with his eyes wide and his hands over his mouth. I'm finally doing it, Frank. I'm waking up…
           At that moment, it happened. My eyes slowly opened, only to be blinded by the white light above me. I can see so many people surrounding me, looking down at me as they desperately worked to save me. When Brendon saw my eyes, his eyes widened as he put a hand over his mouth. I finally fucking did it!
           “Gerard, can you hear me?” Brendon asked me. Of course I can hear him, but I can't respond. I keep commanding my mouth to open to say yes, but it just won't do it. Why, though? I'm finally awake! I just don’t understand why I can't respond! Brendon sighed and shook his head, looking distressed. He held up two fingers above my head, covering my sight from the blinding light. “Gerard, how many fingers am I holding up?”
           He's holding up two. I can see that clear as day. But I can't get my mouth to open up and tell him. Why? I'm finally fucking awake! Brendon kept asking me how many fingers he's holding up, only to be responded with silence. When asking me how many fingers he's holding up, he pulled a little flashlight out of his breast pocket and flashed it into each of my eyes. He shook his head and sighed again, murmuring something to one of the nurses. She nodded and left the room, along with the other ones. Brendon turned to Frank, a look of discontent on his face. He clearly had some bad news for him. How could this happen to me? I wake up, only to be unresponsive to everyone around me. I guess I truly am doomed...