Chapter 22 (Gerard's POV)

I don’t think I could ever express how happy I am feeling. I can finally fucking communicate. It would be even better if I was up walking and talking like a normal human being, but hey, beggars can't be choosers. Frank and I are now officially boyfriends. I've never been in a relationship before, and I must say, it feels different being in one. I now finally have someone to call my own. I can only imagine how awkward it feels to have a boyfriend when you're in a state where you can only communicate with pen and paper. It's not like we can go out or anything like that, since a good chunk of my body is immobile. I must say, I am starting to have hope that one day my body will be fully functional again. Only time will tell, though. It could be months before that happens, maybe years. I hope that that's not the case though…
           I looked over at Ray, who was looking back at me with a smile on his face. He must be happy for me. I gotta say, I'm happy for myself too for once in a very long time.
           “So, you and Frank are a thing now, huh?” he asked me. Yes, we are officially a thing now, and it feels great. I took my pen and wrote down yes with a smiley face, then held it up to Ray to see. He smiled and nodded.
           “I'm very happy for you two. I can see you guys making a great couple,” he said. I smiled in my mind at Ray's kind words, then wrote down thank you with another smiley face, then held it up to Ray again. At that moment, Brendon walked in and came up to my bedside, a syringe in his hand. Oh, no...I can only imagine what this means.
           “I gotta give you your medicine, Gerard. I know you hate this, but we gotta do it,” he frowned. I could feel myself tense up, my heart rate racing. On the machine that records my pulse, it began to beep at a faster rate, indicating that I'm in a distressed state. Brendon pulled the cap off the syringe, then brought the needle to my free arm, pushing it in as I felt the pain from it rush through my body. When Brendon finished with injecting whatever that stuff was into my arm, he pulled the needle out and disposed it into the sharps box near my bed.
           “All done. That wasn't so bad, was it?” Brendon asked me. I didn't respond, because it was that bad. I know I need it though, or else who knows what could happen if I went without my medicine? I'm willing to do anything to stay in good shape for Frank, or at least the best state I can be in. Brendon walked out of the room, leaving me alone with Ray and my thoughts. I wonder what Frank is up to right now. It's right after visiting hours, meaning it’s past eight, which is still probably a little too early for him to retire to bed. Whatever he may be doing, I wish I could join him. I can just see us cuddling up against each other, watching horror movies and eating snacks. That would be a night to remember for sure. I've never cuddled with anyone before, but I would love to have that luxury with Frank. I can imagine his body being so warm against mine, my fingers carding through his styled hair. Hopefully a day like that will come soon, but first I need to wait for the day that I'll be fully mobile again.