Chapter 22

Reese looked up at Taehyung as he sat atop of his horse

Reese looked up at Taehyung as he sat atop of his horse. He sat down comfortably upon the leather saddle, taking the reins into his hands. With gentle eyes, the prince looked down at Reese and SeokJin.

“When will you be back…?” Reese asked in a quiet voice, however the two men could still hear.

“Perhaps in a couple days,” the prince answered. “The fort is quite far away.”

The princess nodded, clasping her hands tightly together. She looked down at her feet, trying to hide her saddened features. Deep down, Reese felt guilty that she hadn’t conversed much with Taehyung or SeokJin much over the past few days. The shock of the grand ball still lingered with her during that time, she just needed some time to gather her thoughts.

Reese decided that she would have to continue to lie to them, however just thinking about it hurt her deeply. She felt like she had grown close to both the guard and the prince, however she couldn’t forget that there was some sort of relationship between Taehyung and Namjoon that put them on good terms with each other.

It was very crucial that she think about where she goes in the castle and when- it would mean the end for her if either Namjoon or Jungkook were here and they found her.

Reese suddenly felt a large palm on top her head, making her look up. Taehyung looked down at her with a comforting smile.

“I’ll be back before you know it Sophie,” he reassured her. “In the meantime, SeokJin will take care of you.”

The prince’s guard nodded firmly, taking his words seriously. However deep down, even without his orders, he would still look after the princess. No matter what.

Within the blink of an eye, Taehyung disappeared out of the castle gates with a trail of guards behind him. The sounds of the horse’s hooves hitting the ground faded as well.

SeokJin quickly wrapped his blue silk cape around Reese’s shoulders. She looked up at him in response.

“Do you want to go into town today?” he asked, rubbing the back of his neck.

SeokJin attempted to hide the embarrassment lacing his features as he knew she was looking at him. It took a lot of convincing on his part to allow Reese outside of the castle walls, and in the end Taehyung agreed. However the condition was that he remained by her side at all times. That was given, considering all that’s happened.

“You’ve been cooped up within the castle walls,” he continued. “Maybe a change of scenery will make you feel better?”

Reese nodded slowly, puffing out her cheeks. She was dying to be somewhere other than the suffocating castle of Ardarwein. The princess still felt their presence lingering in the air, despite being aware that they had left the night after the ball. She literally needed a breath of fresh air. Not only that, but Domino needed to get out too.

SeokJin gently grasped Reese’s hips, lifting her up onto Domino’s saddled back. Once she was settled down, he lifted himself onto his horse’s back. He looked back to Reese who was already following him.

“Let’s go, shall we?”