Chapter 19

I stared at Kane's oh so serious face before bursting out laughing. "War?" I giggled. "Are you kidding?"

"No, actually, I'm not," Kane said. A twinge of hurt covered his face. "Why? You don't think we're strong enough to fight?"

I thought for a moment. "No, it's not that," I admitted. "It's just me. I don't think I want to face him after that."

Kade smiled slightly. "You don't have to."

"I know. But after, I am the Luna of the pack..." I blushed.

Kade cocked his head to the side. "It's great that you want to take duty, but are you really sure?"

"Yeah."

"Besides, you haven't really undergone any training yet and I'm not sure if you'd ever be able to..."

Something clicked in my brain an it was like the setting of a bomb. "Excuse me?" I said. "I know what you're trying to imply, oh mighty werewolf dude, and whatever you say isn't going to put me off. There must've been a reason why I was chosen, right? Me, a little puny human?"

Kade's eyes widened. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean it like that!"

"Oh, I know you did!"

"I mean, sort of, but I'm just asking if you really want to do this. It'll be extremely tiring and you might want to quit. We don't have time for quitters."

"Trust me, I'm not a quitter when it comes to serious matters."

Kade raised his eyebrow. "Like running away from your mate?"

My face flushed. "I don't consider that a serious matter," I mumbled.

"Really, though," Kade said. "If you really want to do this, I'll put you into training with the pups."

I gaped at him. "The pups?"

"Don't underestimate us. We're werewolves, remember? The best the little ones can do are hardcore human stretches and basic exercises."

"This is so not fair," I whined under my breath.

Kade smiled at me, and even though I knew he heard me, he pretended as if he didn't. "You can start today."

...

"Luna, is there a problem?" the coach barked in my face, causing a handful of kids to giggle.

I flinched at her tone. "No, ma'am."

"Well you act as if you've never done an exercise in your life!"

"Sorry, ma'am."

"What was that?"

"Sorry, ma'am!"

"That's what I thought. Now get those leg muscles working!" She moved on to one of the little kids. I silently muttered a few choice words, ignoring the little girl next to me who gave me a queer look.

"My mommy said not to say those words," she whispered to me. "She'd be disappointed in you." She went back to whatever she was doing.

By the time we were finished my legs decided not to cooperate. While everyone went back inside, I lay there on the grass while staring at the stars above. It was gorgeous. Sure, it wasn't like in the pictures with billions of stars in every possible space imagined. But it was still gorgeous the way the stars gave way for each other.

"Enjoying the view, are we?" a male voice asked politely.

I sat up quickly. He was sitting on a rock near my feet. I didn't recognize him, but I could tell that there was something off about him. It was almost like the vibe I got from werewolves, except that this guy was definitely not a werewolf. His hair was flaming red, like mine, but in the moonlight I could tell that his eyes were pale green.